Google Docs connection to Zotero fails

edited February 5, 2021
Report ID: 1201619976

Linux Ubuntu 20.04
Firefox 85.0
Zotero 5.0.95
Google Docs Zotero connector 5.0.81

Zotero Google Docs connection fails with the following in a modal dialog box: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?"

The "troubleshooting instructions" do not provide any information relative to Google Docs.

No use of Zotero menu commands inside Google Docs results in success. All attempts produce the error dialog noted above.
  • Can you provide a Report ID from Zotero as well?

Does it work in a new document?
    The "troubleshooting instructions" do not provide any information relative to Google Docs.
    If it works in a new document but fails in an existing document, the last step is still relevant, regardless of word processor.
  • No. The same error occurs on a brand new Google Doc with no text.
  • We'll need the Report ID to say more.
  • It's happening to me too
  • @giuaota: No point in posting here without the information we've asked for.
  • edited February 5, 2021
    It worked. Thanks
  • [JavaScript Error: "Zotero cannot access this document."]
    Restart your browser. When you first attempt to use Zotero with the document, you'll be prompted to select a Google account. Make sure you select the account that has editing permissions for the document you're working on.
  • I have restarted the browser multiple times. This has no effect on the error.
    Clicking "add/edit citation" in Google Docs prompts the Zotero progress bar and Zotero starts to open, but never finishes opening. The error message posted is the end result on every attempt. The account from which I attempt to open Zotero has editing privileges to the document.

Report ID: 1201619976
  • The account from which I attempt to open Zotero has editing privileges to the document.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "from which I attempt to open Zotero". To be clear, this has nothing to do with a Zotero account. This is about the authorization prompt from Google when you first start using the plugin in a browser session. You need to select the same Google account that you used to create the document.

If you're sure you're choosing the right account, you can try logging out of Google completely and logging in again. You can also try disabling any other Firefox extensions. But this happens when Zotero isn't able to access the document using the account you've selected.
  • @dwiniecki: Oh, you're the OP. You still haven't provided the Report ID I asked for, so I don't know if you're getting the same error as @giuaota. We need a Report ID from Zotero, not the Zotero Connector.
  • Okay. It has nothing to do with Zotero. (I'm not criticizing Zotero!)

The system never gives me the option to select an account. There is no authorization prompt.

You were attempting to be clear in asserting that this has nothing to do with Zotero. How do I find a report ID from Zotero, if Zotero is never part of the issue being reported? Help me help you identify the issue.
  • edited February 6, 2021
    I have successfully used the Google Doc connection to Zotero using other Google accounts. I am not logged into those Google accounts when attempting to open a link to Zotero from a document in the account we're talking about.
  • I didn't say it doesn't have anything to do with Zotero — I said it doesn't have anything to do with a Zotero account. I was clarifying that the "account" in question is your Google account, not your Zotero account.

But again, the Google account may not be relevant. I originally didn't realize you were the original poster, not giuaota. I haven't actually seen your error, because you haven't provided a Report ID from Zotero, and so I don't know if you're experiencing the same issue.
    How do I find a report ID from Zotero, if Zotero is never part of the issue being reported? Help me help you identify the issue.
    Again, we need a Report ID from Zotero, not the Zotero Connector. I linked to these instructions above.
  • There’s no error in there. You need to submit it immediately after getting the error and before restarting Zotero.

You may see the same "nothing" in that report. This is because it was generated in the exact same way as the previous report. The report was generated immediately after the error occurred and before restarting Zotero.

This one was generated after cleaning up some of the libraries that were putting noise into the error report.
  • [JavaScript Error: "Zotero cannot access this document."]
    No, that one includes the error.

So it is the same problem as for giuaota — very likely from choosing the wrong Google account when previously prompted.

Try logging out of Google altogether, restarting your browser, and logging back in. Then, when prompted for access to the document, be sure to choose the same account.
    This has already been attempted multiple times. The same problem occurs on each attempt. When attempting to invoke Zotero from Google Docs, the error occurs before there is any prompt for which Google account to use.

I have removed the Zotero Google Doc connector from this browser, restarted the browser, reinstalled the connector and the same error occurs on every attempt.

I am able to use Zotero's Google Doc connector when logged into other Google accounts through the same browser, but it does not work with the account in which this error occurs.
  • Anything unusual about that google account? Is it plain google or g-suite? Do you happen to have advanced protection enabled for the account?
    It is a branded account under a university. It includes G-suite. I am not knowledgeable enough about setup to say what advanced protection it might have.

I have just confirmed that it operates as expected in Chromium when logged into the university system. All the errors noted in this thread are associated with Firefox.
    Does the same thing happen in another browser?

Ah, OK. Have you tried disabling your other Firefox extensions?
  • (Advanced protection is a special google program that requires you to use a USB key to log in; you'd know if you had it, so not relevant here)
  • Thanks for the idea! I can confirm this does not fix the error.

I have been successful using the Google Docs connection to Zotero when logged into other Google accounts on the same browser.
  • You're saying the same thing happens in another browser? And that thing is, precisely, that you get the error dialog instead of the prompt to choose a Google account when first trying to insert a citation in a new Google Docs document after logging out of Google, restarting your browser, and logging back in, while other accounts do show an account prompt at that exact point?

If so, that certainly sounds like some sort of institutional restriction on Google Docs API access from that account.

Could we see a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) from both the Zotero Connector and Zotero for getting this error?
    FWIW, I, a few years ago, somehow ended up with _three_ different Google accounts from my university when the California State University system moved to Google for email management -- one account for each of my email alias accounts. (In addition to my own Google account.) My university's tech support was able to quickly work this out for me and a zillion other faculty and staff. (I learned that I had an email alias I hadn't known about.)
  • When using the Firefox setup detailed in the first message in this thread, the problem occurs — never get to the account selection step.

When using Firefox with other google accounts not associated with the university the system works as it is supposed to.

When using Chromium with the university Gsuite system it works as it is supposed to.

Do you still want to see a Debug report?
  • Yes.

You should also try in a new Firefox profile.
  • D1537364996

D11501024

Regarding a new Firefox profile, I am successful in using Zotero in Google Docs when I am using different Google accounts in a different Firefox profile.
  • I'm saying to try the account that's not working in a new Firefox profile. Other accounts work in your original profile, so obviously those are going to work in a new profile as well.