Searching for periodical title in the online library

edited July 5, 2020
This discussion was created from comments split from: ipad app is urgently needed.
  • I use PDF Expert+ iCloud + Zotfile on iPad, and it has been working well for me. The real problem is searching within Zotero online library: if I need to find an article from a particular periodical, pdf titles are no help, and searching for a periodical title is impossible in the online version.
  • The ability to search all fields will definitely happen at some point, but if the PDFs are indexed and full-text syncing is enabled on your desktop I would expect that you could use "Title, Creator, Year + Full-Text Content" mode in the web library and search by periodical title that way.
  • edited July 6, 2020
    Thanks! Unfortunately, I turned off full-text syncing because it slowed down my Zotero. However, you said here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/73238/how-to-clear-index-in-a-large-database#latest
    that you were working on new faster full-text indexing system. Has it been implemented? If so, I could index again (which would probably take days?) and then take advantage of your suggestion.

Meanwhile, FYI: I tried to search for "studies in european cinema" (in quotes) in "Title, Creator, Year + Full-Text Content" and ended up with four mysterious records, of which only one was an article from the journal Studies in European Cinema (and I have many such articles) and none had the phrase in the title. I'm guessing this is probably an error. Searching for studies in european cinema without quotes finds nothing.
  • Ok, so a workaround for this is to incorporate periodical titles into PDF title with ZotFile. Then they are searchable in the iPad File app, PDF Expert, etc. Not sure if anyone needs this particular workaround but just in case.