Style Request - Harvard: Author-Date

Hi,

Before I begin, I want to say if there is a volunteer who can help me with this I'll be forever in your debt! I have tried all of the 160 styles available in Zotero and none is an 'exact' match for my needs (which is the European standard for all archaeological writing). Some of the styles are quite close, the closest match is probably 'Harvard ref format 2'. However there are some tweaks that need to made and I am struggling with CSL/ chrome pane. I looked for style guideline links but again there were minute variations so in case of adding confusion I have just listed tweaks that need to be made below. The tweaks are minor and if you know what you are doing could be done quickly, if, like me, you haven't got a clue it could take forever! Here are the tweaks. (Please note in the examples below that the comment box is negating the italicization in the references but Harvard format 2 does this correctly, so this aspect of the style does not need adjusting).

1. I need it to sort 'author' and then 'date' (rather than title).
2. In in-text referencing when cite a page number I need it to drop the 'P'. It should simply be (Bergh 1995, 56-65).
3. In the bibliography I need to negate the occurane of 'PP.'. So for a journal a ref. it should be as below. Notice the volume and issue number are followed by a colon and then the page numbers without need of a 'pp.'.

Bergh S. 2000. Transforming Knocknarea: the archaeology of a mountain. Archaeology Ireland 14(2):14-18.

In a book section the PP. also does not appear and only a comma is necessary, as in:

Bergh, S. 2002. Monuments of meaning. Role and symbolism of passage tombs in CĂșil Irra, Co. Sligo. In M. Timoney (ed.) A celebration of Sligo, first essays for Sligo Field Club, 65-72.

4. With a piece from an edited volume it should be formatted as below. The change is that there should be a period after the title. Then the 'i' in 'In' is capitalized. Then the 'ed.' or 'eds' is surrounded by brackets. Additionally, when (eds) is written the period is not necessary.

Bergh, S. 2002. Monuments of meaning. Role and symbolism of passage tombs in CĂșil Irra, Co. Sligo. In M. Timoney (ed.) A celebration of Sligo, first essays for Sligo Field Club, 65-72.

5. The volume number should 'not' be emboldened as happens in Harvard 2. Hence it should be as follows

Bradley, R. 1988. Hoarding, Recycling and the Consumption of Prehistoric Metalwork: Technological Change in Western Europe. World Archaeology 20(2): 249-260.

6. If there are more than two authors the reference should name the first author followed by et al.. The same should apply if there are more than two editors.

Bradley, R., et al. 2001. Decorating the Houses of the Dead: Incised and Pecked Motifs in Orkney Chambered Tombs. Cambridge Archaeological Journal 11(01): 45-67.

I think that's all.

Thanks a lot
  • edited August 29, 2009
    Some tips to make the CSL easier:

Don't use the preview pane directly for more complex stuff like this, copy and paste everything from the pane into a new text file, make your changes there, then paste it back in to see what happens. Notepad++ is the best editor I've found, especially if you set the language to XML, then it colourcodes everything nicely so it's really clear what is going on.

This page is pretty handy, as are many pages on this forum, and the new simple guide to making style changes. There are some other little gems somewhat hidden in the forums).

I reckon within an hour you could have a style doing exactly what you want - quicker than doing it manually!