Copying references from one library to another

Hi:
I ended up with two libraries with some common material. What is the best way of consolidating them into one library with no duplicates? Both libraries are on my laptop.
Thanks
  • If you imported the same data into both, the best option is to sort one library by Date Added and delete one of the imported sets at once.

Otherwise, not much to be done other than just copying them into the same library and using the Duplicate Items view to merge duplicates.
  • Hi:
    Thanks for your suggestions. Just to clarify, when you say "just copying them into the same library" do you mean that I copy the folders such as "2BH6P9QH" from the storage folder of one library to the storage folder of the other library and merge the duplications one by one?
    I am assuming the probability of having a folder by the same name is tiny? If it does happen what is the best way of handling it?
    Thanks
  • when you say "just copying them into the same library" do you mean that I copy the folders such as "2BH6P9QH" from the storage folder of one library to the storage folder of the other library and merge the duplications one by one?
    No, absolutely not. Don't touch the data directory.

We're just talking about using Zotero. You can drag collections and items between libraries.
  • Thanks for the alert! How do I open two libraries at the same time so I can drag items from one library to the other? Both libraries exit on my laptop.
    Thanks
  • Oh, wait, you're talking about two separate Zotero databases? Each with its own My Library? I thought you were talking about two libraries within Zotero (e.g., two groups).

You can sync them both with the same account, which will merge the items, or you can export to Zotero RDF from one and import into the other. The latter will break links to items from any existing citations in word processor documents and reset Date Added/Modified values.
  • (To clarify, by "merge" I just mean it will combine the accounts, not deduplicate, at least if these libraries were created independently. You don't say how you ended up with separate libraries with some of the same material.)
  • Yes indeed I am referring to separate Zotero databases with their own My Libraries. So as I see it I will do the following:
    1. Create a new profile
    2. View the to_be_imported My Library in the new profile
    3. Export this to_be_imported My Library using Zotero RDF
    4. Open the old profile and import the Zotero RDF of the to_be_imported My LIbrary
    5. Merge duplicates
    I need help on details for step 2.
    Thanks
  • You don't need to create a new profile. If you're not using syncing, or auto-sync is disabled, you can just point Zotero at the other data directory from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences, export, and switch back.
  • Great! Everything works. I appreciate your timely guidance.
    Thanks