Cite Key location

Hello all,

I am using Bookdown in an R Markdown setting. I have exported my Zotero library and connected it to my markdown. I would now like to cite from my library, but do not know how to find the proper key to cite a specific article. Please help.
  • For what you want to do, you might need the Better BibTeX add-on: https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex
  • Thank you, qqbb, I do have that. Someone else told me to open my LaTex app, and drag my .bib file into it. That seems to be the answer I needed. Thank you.
  • I recommend installing the Better BibTeX plugin in Zotero () and the citr plugin in RStudio. That will allow you to click an Add Citation button in RStudio that will let you search your library and insert citations (like the Zotero Word plugin). It will then also automatically curate a .bib or CSL-JSON file with just the items you actually cite.

As to your specific question, the citekey for an item is in the first line of each entry in your bib file, starting with “@“.

If you install the BetterBibTeX plugin, it adds export options for “Better BibLaTeX” and “Better CSL-JSON”. You should use these over the stock Zotero export options. BetterBibTeX will also display an item’s citation key in Zotero at the top of the item data pane.

One other point—it is common to use .bib files with Markdown, but this isn’t the best option. If you are citing something other than a book, chapter, or journal article, it will probably be wrong if you use a .bib file with Markdown. Instead, export your file as (Better) CSL-JSON and specify this file in your Markdown. It will yield much better citations because it is the native format for Markdown’s citation processor, pandoc.