Zotero plugin is not appearing in Word for Mac

I have followed all the instructions about installing/reinstalling the Word plugin in order to reference citations from Word, but the Zotero options still not available. The Zotero.dotm file is where it is supposed to be, but not appearing in the Global Templates. Any help would be appreciated.
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear

Can you say exactly what you've done from these steps and what happened at each step?
  • I followed all the steps for the Word for Mac 2016 and ensured that the .dtom file is where it is supposed to be. I also went to Zotero and installed and re-installed the Word plugin from there. It says the installation was successful. I have started and restarted Word and my Mac several times, and still nothing.
  • edited January 22, 2020
    I'm afraid that's not specific enough. We really need you to list every step you tried, with specific file locations (you can x out your username), and what happened at each step.

The troubleshooting steps are obviously intended to be comprehensive, so if they're not working for you, either there's something very unusual happening on your system or you've missed something. That's why we need you to be precise.
  • I did this:

In Zotero, go to Tools → Add-ons → Extensions.
    Make sure “Zotero Word for Mac”, Zotero for Windows Integration“, and/or “Zotero LibreOffice Integration” are enabled. If any are not, click the “Enable” button.
    If the “Enable” button is grayed out and you are unable to click it, click the “Remove” button and restart Zotero.
    If you don't see the required integration plugin in the Extensions pane at all, then you should re-download and re-install Zotero. It is not necessary to uninstall Zotero before re-installing; simply install Zotero over the top of the existing installation. (Note: Re-installing Zotero rarely fixes problems and should not be used as a general troubleshooting step. This is one of the few instances where re-installation is helpful.)
    In the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences, open the “Word Processors” tab, click “Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in” or “Reinstall LibreOffice Add-in”, and then restart your word processor.

And then this:

Open Word Preferences.
    Click View.
    Check “Show developer tab” and close the preferences dialog.
    In the new Developer tab click “Word Add-ins”.
    Make sure that “Zotero.dotm” is present under Global Templates and Add-ins“ and is checked.
    If the “Zotero.dotm” entry isn't present in the dialog, try reinstalling the Word plugin from Zotero. In Zotero, go to the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences, click the “Reinstall Word Components” button, and then restart Word.

And this:

In Finder, press Cmd-Shift-G and navigate to
    /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install
    where you can find a copy of the Zotero.dotm file. If the folder is empty, the file was somehow deleted — possibly by security software — and you should reinstall Zotero.

Find your Word startup folder by following the instructions below. You should now have two folders open: the Word startup folder and the “install” folder containing Zotero.dotm.
    Copy the Zotero.dotm file to your Word Startup folder. (Be sure to copy the file rather than moving it.)
    Start (or restart) Microsoft Word to begin using the plugin.

I even have the Developer tab open and went to Add-ons there and it is not appearing in global templates like the instructions say.
  • I understand you think this is tedious, but I really am trying to help you here, and I'm not going to be able to do that unless you take the time to provide what I've asked for. We're aware of what's in our instructions, so simply copying that back at us isn't helpful.

I asked you to say everything you tried, including specific file locations, and what happened at each step. That means, if there's an if/then, you need to describe which applied in your case. If the instructions say to check the startup folder, you need to say the full path where you're checking, what from the instructions made you think that was the correct path, and what exactly you saw in it.

I'm sure you think you've followed the instructions correctly in full, and you very well may have, but that's not how support works. We need you to actually describe your interpretation of the instructions and how it related to what you saw on the screen, with all the implied assumptions spelled out.

But to make things a little more concrete, can you start by providing 1) a Report ID from Zotero, 2) your exact Word version, 3) what it says for Startup in the File Locations preference pane in Word, 4) how you opened the startup folder, and 5) the timestamp and size of the Zotero.dotm file there?
  • I truly followed each of the items I listed. The .dotm file is located where the instructions list. I did not have to paste them in anywhere. It just is not appearing when in the References tab of Word, no matter how many different times I install/reinstall or start/restart. I have been using Zotero for about 6 months, so the fact that this isn't appearing is new.

Here are the answers to the questions:
    1. 1293947303
    2.Word for Mac 16.33
    3./Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install
    4. I looked in Zotero using Command+shift+G
    5. Timestamp is April 11, 2019
  • edited January 23, 2020
    Right, so this is why we ask for specifics from you, not a copy of our own instructions.
    3. /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install
    That's absolutely incorrect for the Word Startup folder, it's something you would've had to have configured manually, and nowhere in the instructions does it say to do so. You should reset that from the File Locations dialog, which should blank it out and cause Word to use the default location listed on the manual installation page. Make sure a copy of Zotero.dotm exists in that directory, and then see if the plugin appears in Word.
    It just is not appearing when in the References tab of Word, no matter how many different times
    If you really mean that, that's not where Zotero buttons have ever shown up in Word. They show up in a separate Zotero tab in the ribbon when things are properly installed.
  • If you had started with the specifics we could've saved 2 days. This is why I asked for support help, not to be berated for asking for help. I apologize that I'm not as technical as you.

I did not have the Zotero tab, so that's why I was looking at the References tab. After making the changes you kindly suggested above, the Zotero tab is appearing. However, it is not recognizing that I have Zotero open. It is saying Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Zotero is open and try again.
  • I asked you for a description of everything you've done and specific file locations two days ago. We don't expect you to have technical knowledge, and it's fine to get something wrong, but we do need you to provide the information we ask for in order to help you. Our instructions are written very precisely, so as I said earlier, if something isn't working, there may be a misunderstanding, which is why we ask people to take the time to explain, in their own words and with details specific to their computer, what they've done.
    It is saying Word could not communicate with Zotero.
    Start by reinstalling Zotero from the download page into Applications, and then reinstall the Word plugin from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences. Then restart Word and, if it's still not working, let us know the size and timestamp of the Zotero.dotm file in your Word Startup folder.
  • Thank you. It appears to now be working.