Using Zotero to work together on Office documents

If a Zotero group item has a Microsoft office document (Word, Powerpoint, Excel mainly) as an attachment, then, can the group members work on this attachment and the changes will sync fine?
  • Yes, changes will sync, but if two people change it at the same time, one person’s changes will be overwritten and lost. I recommend using a different cloud service like OneDrive or Dropbox for this purpose, as these will either permit simultaneous editing (OneDrive) or at least create conflicted copies that can be merged (Dropbox).
  • Thanks. I am introducing Zotero to a group that does social work, and some members don't use computers frequently. They have a Google Docs setup to share and co-edit documents and I was hoping everything could move to Zotero. But it seems keeping Google Docs or having co-edit documents in OneDrive is the way to go. I'll keep Zotero for collecting and organizing articles.

ps: When attachment links comes to groups, the co-edit docs can stay in OneDrive, but accessed and organized via Zotero. Right?
  • Zotero isn’t designed for collaborative writing, and I don’t anticipate it trying to do that any time in the near future. I suggest you stick with storing documents you are writing in Google Docs or OneDrive. You can insert citations using Zotero into either Google Docs or Word.

Zotero doesn’t organise or move linked files, so even if linked file support is added to Groups, it won’t really help with organizing files. You should use Zotero to manage citations, sources, articles, but use OneDrive or Google Drive for the documents you are actively writing.
  • I understand and agree Zotero isn't for collaborative writing. Not asking for that feature.

What I am saying is that even the collaboratively edited document can be included in Zotero's organization framework if links come to groups. The document still stays in OneDrive, but users never bother find it there. They find the item in Zotero using tags or can add child notes to the item entry, and so on. That way, for the kind of group in question, they never have to think where to start when looking for a document. Always start in Zotero.
  • Ah, I see, yes, that would be work.
  • I am so very frustrated with Onedrive and Zotero. I tried to do a collaborative/group project and have had nothing but problems. I'm headed back in to fix (add in all citations AGAIN) the citations in the 38 pages for the 5th time. Now that part one of the class is over, I will be moving everything to google docs to see if it is better.
  • Happy to help you troubleshoot if you like. What exactly was the problem you were having?