Error in Updating Citations

Hi,

As I am writing my paper and inserting citations, the citations are being entered, and others changed accordingly, but then when it gets to the bibliography, it tells me that an error has occurred. I tried everything the troubleshooting page told me to do, and nothing seems to work. When I copied the document and pasted it in a new document and tried to refresh, both zotero and word crashed. Duplicating it does nothing. Deleting the bibliography did nothing either and then I couldn't even add a new bibliography.

version => 5.0.70, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.10, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.70, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.23.SA.5.0.70, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.19.SA.5.0.70, extension)

Please help me remedy this.

Thanks in advance!
  • Does it work if you install the Zotero beta?
  • Hi!

Thank you for the response!

The beta doesn't work, I'm still getting the error that Zotero couldn't update.

• edited July 16, 2019
    OK, then you'll need to follow the last step in the Debugging Broken Documents steps and send the excerpt to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • We'd also want to see an actual Report ID after this occurs.
  • Hi!

This ended up taking all day, but after multiple attempts at step 9, deleting half the document, and then different sections when the error occurred (i even had to do multiple attempts, and switch between the most up to date zotero and the beta version), it turned out to be 2 different citation insertions. Had to delete them from the document and then from Zotero, resave those papers and then was able to insert them into the paper and it was able to update everything (it did take all day, but it is now fixed!)...Thanks so much for all your help!
  • Report ID: 773020506

I am having exactly the same issue which has started today. I have done everything in the "debugging broken documents" instructions but no change. I am changing the reference style from APA to BMC, however while the citations in the main document updates the bibliography doesn't update at all. I get the error "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."
  • edited July 17, 2019
    @sotolk01: Do you still have copies of the items that caused the error (or remember anything distinctive about them)? The error was caused by a bug, and until it is fixed, it will continue to cause problems.
  • @sotolk01: Can you email support@zotero.org the smallest possible excerpt that triggers the error, with a link to this thread?
    3 is read-only
    @puritynjagi: Note that it's not possible to follow the last step without isolating a broken citation, but your issue is different and is fixed in the latest Zotero beta. The fix will be included in Zotero 5.0.71 shortly.
  • @puritynjagi: This should be fixed in Zotero 5.0.71, available now via Help → "Check for Updates…".
  • @dstillermann: Thank you so much. My issue has been resolved after updating to Zotero 5.0.71.