Can I use Google Drive to backup Zotero instead of upgrading?

I have Google File Stream on my Mac, and I'd like to sync Zotero to it (as I have unlimited free space). Is this possible?
  • Thank you for the link. So, when I link my files to a Drive folder (rather than store them locally), will I be able to access them offline as long as I have offline access enabled. Has anyone actually tried this to make sure it works? I'm also assuming if I lose my Zotero database offline, this solution will offer me the files, but not the tags etc?
  • It’s not clear exactly what scenario you are thinking about. Zotero is always stored offline—syncing in any form is always optional. If you enable work Zotero sync, your item data, notes, tags, collections, etc. will be synced across computers using the Zotero sync system. If you Set up file syncing, either via Zotero or another service like Google Drive, your files will also be synced.
  • edited July 7, 2019
    Thanks for responding.
    I'm referring to this line in the support documentation:

"Storing the Zotero data directory directly in a cloud storage folder is extremely likely to corrupt your Zotero database and should not be done."

My concern is that if I lost my laptop (for example), I would end up with a Drive folder full of the files I have linked, but all other data (such as tags) would be lost.

From re-reading the documentation, it seems that if I use Zotfile, this concern would be addressed, right?

I hope that's clearer - thanks again.
  • Yes, it is fine to use Zotfile to store files in a cloud folder. What you shouldn’t do is to store the actual Zotero data directory in a cloud folder.
  • Gotcha. Thanks!
  • This may still be a misunderstanding, though. ZotFile helps moves your attachments to the cloud storage folder, but it doesn't make a backup of your Zotero database, which would still be stored on your hard drive.

To address losing your laptop, you would want to regularly back up your Zotero data directory just like with any other important files — ideally using an automated whole-disk backup tool or automated cloud backup software for specific folders.

You can also using Zotero syncing, which would let you restore your library by syncing from a new computer, but that's not technically the same as a backup, as it wouldn't help if, say, you accidentally deleted some data in your library and then synced. (Zotero does keep automatic backups of the database for a couple days.)
  • Ok. Thanks for that additional info. Appreciate it.