Nesting saved searches

I have a question related to nesting saved searches. I know this has been requested before and some previous posts suggest it is possible but I cannot see how (this post mentions "nested saved searches", for instance, but not how it works? https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/311244#Comment_311244). Apologies if I overlooked something!

Basically what I would like to do is nest a smart search in a smart search, as can be done with Mac apps like Sente (my absolute favorite implementation and interface, sadly no longer in development) and Bookends. I should say I come from Sente and this was, IMHO, one of its killer features in terms of organizing references. The ability to have self-updating searches that one can nest at will is incredibly useful when starting a new project.

Example as given by a previous commenter (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/42450/new-features-to-saved-searches/)

"nested searches, e.g. a search called "groundwater" with "tag=groundwater" and searches as child to this one. A child could be e.g. "Management" with "(inside results of parent search) and (tag=management)"

So two questions:
• is is currently possible to nest smart /saved searches?
• if not, than I would suggest it as a feature request , but perhaps it is already under consideration?

Best wishes,
Gerben
  • It depends on what you mean by "nest" --
    - it is _not_ possible to display saved searches as hierarchies, i.e. one child search grouped under another or multiple in a folder, etc. That's been requested a number of times and I think there's a good chance it'll happen, but probably not super soon.

- it _is_ possible to include a saved search as a search condition for another saved search. Existing saved searches are under "Collection" in the Advanced Search dialog, so for your example you could do
    Collection -- is -- groundwater
    Tag -- is -- management

and turn that into another saved search.
  • Many thanks for the quick reply, the second option definitely does help (and now I understand how it works). And hopefully one day saved searches as hierarchies will arrive :)

Best wishes,
    Gerben