Finding items without attachments

I am trying to identify items in my large Zotero library that do not currently have attachments. I found this thread in the forum (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/25615/how-to-find-entries-without-a-pdf-attachment), but in Zotero 5, the option to search a saved search doesn't seem to exist anymore unless I'm missing something? Is there another way to do what I'm looking to do? Thanks!
  • Saved searches are just grouped under collections in the advanced search. Everything else from that thread remains correct.
  • I have been trying to do the exact same thing as @hbraum. A couple of notes for others who may be doing likewise:

- I found that running "Attachment File Type -- is --- PDF" against a saved search didn't work. (i.e. "Collection -- is -- Name_of_my_saved_search" AND "Attachment File Type -- is --- PDF"). It gave me all of the items in that saved search, which is obviously wrong.

- However, running it against a Subcollection appeared to work, though oddly, the item count was off by about a factor of five, perhaps because it was counting every Attachment and Note (?).

- NB when you do the above, you need to select 'Include parent and child items of matching items'.

- After that, the next step was to create a saved search combining:
    "Attachment File Type -- is --- PDF" run against a Subcollection
    AND Collection is -- Name_of_my_saved_search

- and then the mirror image of the above, a saved search with no PDF attachments

So now I can use the no-PDF-attachment saved search as a sort of to do list for finding PDFs.
  • Same results here, as above -
    "- I found that running "Attachment File Type -- is --- PDF" against a saved search didn't work. (i.e. "Collection -- is -- Name_of_my_saved_search" AND "Attachment File Type -- is --- PDF"). It gave me all of the items in that saved search, which is obviously wrong. "
  • Try this:

Search 1:

[Attachment File Type] [is] [PDF]
    [x] "Include parent and child items of matching items"

Search 2:

[Collection] [is not] [Search 1]
    [x] Show only top-level items
  • Thanks @dstillman - your suggestion worked for me.
  • Thanks @dstillman. Came looking for this and your suggestion worked flawlessly.