macOS Mojave and Zotero dropdown menu problem

After I update to macOS Mojave, the Zotero is not working properly. I can't see the dropdown menu in the Zotero Preferences or in Zotero Word plugin. Thus, I can't insert any reference in a Word document because I am unable to see the reference in the Zotero dropdown menu.

See these 2 images:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4u0n3er4ak9m1ci/zotero2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi4zig1trqvpmvr/zotero1.png?dl=0

I need some help. Thanks.
  • Also the Identifier only works to add 1 paper to the library. After that it does not activate again and one has to close Zotero and reopen it again
  • Sorry about that — we missed some compatibility issues in our testing. The latest Zotero beta should work better with Mojave. We'll be releasing that within the next day, but you can safely install the beta now and switch back to the release version when it's available.

(If you do try the beta, let us know if you run into any problems.)
  • the identifier works well again with beta :) Just dark mode is missing :P
  • Zotero 5.0.55.1 is out now with this fix. Let us know if you run into any other problems.
  • I do have a similar problem with 5.0.55.1 and Mojave, but it occurs when I try to link a file to any given reference in Zotero. The menue is there but everything freezes as soon as I klick into the search field. Happens again and again, totally reproducible. Anyone having the same issues? Have to cold quit Zotero (although Finder does not report any freezing).
  • @sabinepfeiffer: Could you say the exact steps you're taking and what's happening?
  • Yes, of course: First, I select one of my publication entries and klick on "attach link to file". When I try to use the search in the pop-up menue, sometimes even when I just scroll down to select a PDF from my local folder, everything freezes. I cannot close the menue, I can't do anything with Zotero anymore despite closing it via Finder.
    The error only occurs on my Laptop where Mojave is installed already, not on my iMac, which I haven't upgraded yet. Sometimes I have luck and can make an attachment once, at the latest with the second attempt the error appears again. Hope that helps.
  • I have a similar problem with Zotero BetterBibtex plugin. When I am to export my library the program freezes right after I get to the Save as dialog. I have to force quit Zotero and start it again. But it freezes again every time I try to export a bibtex-file.
  • Hi there, I am a hopeful new Zotero user who upgraded to OSX Mojave last week (stupidly) and I am encountering the same problem when trying to build a Zotero library using the "link to file" and "store copy of file" options. The pop-up window does not allow me to type in the search field and the program becomes disabled (I have to force quit from Finder, although Zotero is not labeled as "not responding").

Is there a fix for this in the works, or perhaps a temporary work around? For my purposes, it would be best for me to build my library starting with pre-downloaded PDFs, and then have Zotero fetch the reference data form the web.

Thank you! Looks like a great software so far, and I love the web functionality.
  • I wasn't able to reproduce this, but it should be fixed in the latest Zotero beta. You can install that over your current version and see if that fixes the problem for you. (Your data won't be affected, and you can switch back to Zotero 5.0.56 when it comes out, which should be next week.)

Note, also, that you don't need to use that dialog to add files. You can simply drag files in to Zotero from the filesystem.
  • I do have exactly the same problems as Sabine Pfeiffer described: I do have a similar problem with 5.0.55.1 and Mojave, but it occurs when I try to link a file to any given reference in Zotero. The menue is there but everything freezes as soon as I klick into the search field. Happens again and again, totally reproducible. Anyone having the same issues? Have to cold quit Zotero (although Finder does not report any freezing).
  • @espenseventyr I can't fix what I don't know about. If you open an issue over at https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues I can take a look at what's going on.
  • Hi @emilianoeheyns thank you for your answer. I downloaded the beta and there it works correctly. I will think of opening an issue next time though.
  • @PaulP53: This is fixed in the latest beta, as I say above.
  • The freezing in the open/save dialog is now fixed in Zotero 5.0.56.
This discussion has been closed.