Debug ID: D347282305. LO to WORD conversion breaking links

Hi, I am really stuck. When I compile a document from Scrivener to ODT, then open the ODT in LibreOffice (LO), click on Document Preferences, select Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author date) as Bookmarks, then save as DOCX, and open that saved DOCX in WORD, the citations no longer appear in a grey box and no longer does a "REFERENCE: ZOTERO ITEM, etc..." pop up when I hover over the item. Instead, none of the citations appear to be active citation links to my Zotero library. The links all seemed to have been stripped out when I move from LO to WORD. That can't be right. Any idea what I am doing wrong? and THANK YOU! [I am using WORD 16.16, Libre Office 6.0.6.2, and Zotero 5.0.55 (standalone ver.) on a Mac running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6] [The reason I set the Document Preferences to Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author date) is because I aim to convert the citation style to Bluebook in WORD, and that style must appear in footnotes in my chapter. So, for some bizarre reason, I have to close Zotero, then relaunch it for the "Fields" option to appear in Document Preferences in WORD. If I don't relaunch it, the "Fields" option appears only as a ReferenceMarks option.

Any assistance to get all this resolved would really be appreciated.
  • (It would be really helpful if you just responded in one of your many existing threads, rather than starting a new one.)

ReferenceMarks appears in Word? That doesn’t seems possible. Can you take a screenshot, upload to Dropbox, Imgur, or similar, and post a link here?
  • edited September 7, 2018
    But I’m confused. It seemed like it was working for you in this thread:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/73479/error-id-1118853855

Please pick one thread and respond in it with new information. It is really hard to follow where you’re at when the information is scattered over five threads.
  • Thank you, I apologize immensely. I am learning how to communicate a troubleshooting challenge for me in the forum/discussion threads even as I am learning your wonderful citation manager. I am going to limit my communications to this one thread here! You have been really incredibly super helpful, so please again accept my apologies. Trust me, nothing beats Zotero. I think Zotero does a pretty good job at outputting in BlueBook style, [with through the Word integration add-on "picker", or in LibreOffice][but not for me at least recently through the RTF/ODF Scan] and I know that a couple of other managers just don't do BlueBook the way Zotero does--not even close. I just see now that you responded in the other thread. (I will check out Juris-M, though, as you recommend). So, first I am going to send you a link to the screen grab of the weird ReferenceMarks and BB in Word phenomenon, here https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbnqeerr4ktffr0/Zotero and Word BlueBook law Review Store Citations as: ReferenceMarks.png?dl=0
  • In response to the above query, your recommendation that I set Document Preferences in LO to Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition, (author date) and then Store Citations using BookMarks got me past the Word error codes upon opening the DOCX in WORD; however, the citation fields or bookmarks connected to my Zotero Library got stripped out; and they got stripped out at the moment that I saved the ODT in LO as DOCX, that is, the DOCX version in LO had no active links either, but the ODT version did. I was not sure I had explained that before.
    I really need this to work for an article that is due. I appreciate your excellent comments. Thanks again!
  • Wow, that is weird. @adomasven Do you have any idea how the LO dialog would show in Word or how to fix?

As immediate steps because the article is due, try to first restart Zotero if you haven’t already. If the problem persists, either do your final formatting in LO instead of Word or install Juris-M and see if the switch between LO and Word works there.
  • I did install Juris M, and ran the ODT scan there, but got the same result as I did with Zotero. I even tried compiling my JurisM/Zotero references in Scrivener as in-line annotations, hoping the references would remain in-text once I opened in the ODT in LibreOffice. But no, LO made the references into footnotes, which put me right back where I was before. It looks like I can't draft in Scrivener and edit in Word, --unless-- I am willing to reinsert all my references through the Word integration add-on and "pick" my references in the JurisM/Zotero library.
  • Like I said in my previous post, this appears to be a very unusual bug where you are seeing the LibreOffice dialog in Word. We will need to wait for the Zotero developer to weigh in if he has a suggestion how to resolve that.

One other thing you could try would be to install Juris-M or Zotero on another computer and see if the problem occurs there too.

For now, I recommend you do your editing in LibreOffice with Juris-M.
  • Gotcha and thank you! I just installed the new (beta) Zotero connector to Firefox to add metadata for PDFs. I am looking forward to using that feature.
  • Also, note that the style you will want to use in Juris-M is “JM Indigo Book”. This style has all of the complex support for Bluebook’s rules. Indigo Book is a public domain version of the Bluebook.
  • @lisaleine You will not be able to convert footnote based citations to bookmarks, so as bwiernik advised in your other thread, you will need to select Chicago Author Date in LibreOffice, then select to store the fields as Bookmarks and only then save as .docx.

As for seeing ReferenceMarks in the document preferences pane in Word, that's a Zotero bug that we will fix, but in the meantime, the way to work around it is to restart Zotero if you open a file with Word and see ReferenceMarks instead of Fields in the document preferences pane.