citations from collected works

Hey! So:
1) i have to cite 15 volumes of Collected Works of XYZ
2) The items within each volume are texts from books/booklets/articles/speeches by Historical Subject A
3) i initially put only Collected works of XYZ as one item, and then manually put details for each item: for e.g. 'Person A's speech at London, the Daily Mail, 29 April 2016', i would enter the Volume No. and Page numbers manually too. But this required too much manual work. and i thought it was taking up too much space
4) I have currently selected the 'book section' format in zotero, and am putting each item from each volume into zotero. So that this part --- 'Person A's speech at London, the Daily Mail, 29 April 2016' comes under 'title'. i then add something like 'speech at london' under 'short title'. so that this saves me precious space

5) BUT - the problem im facing is that: although 'speech at london' helps in appearing as a short title for 'Person A's speech at London, the Daily Mail, 29 April 2016', Zotero isnt picking up CWXYZ (which is short title for 'Collected works of XYZ' -which ive got in Zotero separately as a 'book'. this whole thing - Collected works of XYZ is still appearing in full, how can i get a shorter title for this as well?).

I hope this makes sense!
  • edited April 29, 2018
    Unless you're writing about something secret, could we get some actual citation examples rather than XYZs and Person As? I find it very hard to follow this in the abstract.

edit: oh, and which citation style you're using.
  • Oh, sorry! So im using Chicago full-note.

im using The Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, volumes 1-15

examples of individual items are the following:

'Swami Dayanand', Lahore, 1898, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Vol 1, pp-24-6
    'Swami Dayanand', Lahore, 1898, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Vol 1, pp-34-6 (sometimes the same item in the same volume repeats itself)
    'Shivaji', Lahore, 1900, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Vol 1, pp-34-6
    (sometimes it doesnt)
    'Swami Dayanand', Lahore, 1898, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Vol 1, pp-34-6
    (sometimes it comes again after another item from the same volume)

Then, in another chapter, I have items from the same series but a different volume. for example:

'Message of the Gita', Modern Review, 19 July 1908, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Volume 3, pp. 99-100
    'Message of the Gita', Modern Review, 19 July 1908, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Volume 3, pp. 119-20
    'Message of the Gita', Modern Review, 19 July 1908, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Volume 3, pp. 119-20 (sometimes same item from same volume repeats itself )
    'State of Depressed Classes', Interview to the Tribune, 18 May 1914, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Volume 4, pp. 119-20 (sometimes its followed by another item from another volume in same series)
    'Untouchability', The Panjabee, 5 May 1915, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Volume 4, pp. 5-6 (now, theres a new volume, but from the same series)

I hope this makes sense!

So id ideally like to do something thats most economical!

Like the full thing only once, and the rest:
    'ibid' & if after another item then 'Swami Dayanand', CWLLR Vol 1'?

I'd ideally want to have Zotero shorten Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai to CWLLR and for it to pick up when im citing different items from the same volume! so after the first time it doesnt repeat:

'Swami Dayanand', Lahore, 1898, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Vol 1, pp-24-6
    'Shivaji', Lahore, 1900, Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai, Vol 1, pp-34-6

and just has:

'Swami Dayanand', CWLLR Vol 1, p24-6
    'Shivaji', ibid., p.34-6

If that makes sense? sorry, but i myself find this a bit confusing!!

• OK, got it. So "I'd ideally want to have Zotero shorten Collected Works of Lala Lajpat Rai to CWLLR" is technically possible but you would need to
    1) Modify the citation style and
    2) add container-title-short: CWLLR into the Extra field (note this alone won't do anything without modifying the citation styles.)

Let me know if you're interested and I can tell you what to do in the citation style, but it's a bit technical.

There used to be a plugin that can handle this ("Abbreviations Filter") but it's not currently compatible with Zotero 5.

"for it to pick up when im citing different items from the same volume"
    is not possible and is unlikely to be any time soon.

• which citation style do I have to have then?
  • no, you'd have to modify an existing one. I don't believe this is implemented anywhere.
  • ok, so yes please! could you help me do this? and, disclaimer: im not great with technology!
  • when can we do this?
  • hey do you think you will be able to help me with this today at some point?
  • sorry, I looked at this some more and I don't think it'll work.
    You obviously do get the short title (and the short title only) the 2nd time you cite the _same_ work, but Zotero has no way of knowing that you cited from the same multivolume work before, so there's no way it can abbreviate that, I'm afraid.
  • hmmm, thats a bummer. ok so what would you suggest? maybe I could just save the abbreviated form 'CWLLR 1' in the 'book title' itself. But i guess the bibliography generated wont have the full form then and i will have to change it manually later?
  • as in what im saying is ill save each item under separate book titles
    CWLLR 1
    CWLLR 2
    CWLLR 3 etc

So it'll always appear as
    'Swami Dayanand', CWLLR 1, p19
    'History of India', CWLLR 1, p80
    'Message of the Gita', CWLLR 3, p100-1
    'Gita', p100-1

• The Juris-M fork of Zotero has an Abbreviations Filter functionality that can accommodate this I believe. You could try switching over to that:
    http://juris-m.github.io
  • edited May 12, 2018
    is this just some add-on? can you please guide me as to what i should do to connect it to zotero? Sorry, but Im a bit technologically challenged!
  • also, it says The Abbreviation Filter is not compatible with Zotero 5.0. My version is 5.0.47. what would 'switching over' entail?
  • Abbreviations Filter doesn’t work with Zotero 5, correct. To switch to Juris-M, just install Juris-M and open it. It will import your existing Zotero database and make it compatible (your original database will be untouched and you can always go back if you want).
  • @VanyaVaidehi If Juris-M comes up with an empty library initially, just set it to sync to your existing account on zotero.org. It uses a separate database, your local Zotero data will not be affected. To lighten the sync, you might want to set attachments to sync "as needed."
  • installed, but when i try to open it it says: “Jurism” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
  • Yes, the client is unsigned currently, so you will have to signal that you trust it. If you are on a Mac, open the system control panel (the gear icon in the ribbon), and click on "Security & Privacy." Juris-M should be listed as an application that you attempted to install. Approve the install, and it should proceed to unpack itself.
  • could do everything apart from the last step - Juris-M doesnt appear. something else 'AVG technologies' does, which i think is some anti-virus thing.
  • I don't know anything about that particular anti-virus package, but if it's blocking the install, you would need to resolve that in order to proceed.

Signing of the client will happen eventually, but not for a few more months.
  • hey so i was able to download Jurism but as you said its empty. i went to preferences > sync > file syncing > sync files in My library using Zotero is already checked. what do i do now?
  • "If Juris-M comes up with an empty library initially, ***just set it to sync to your existing account on zotero.org.**" - actually i dont get how to do this!
  • Okay - let's back up one step. Is your Zotero library synced to zotero.org? (If you're not sure, then the answer would also be "no".)

If your Zotero library is not synced, that will be the place to start. Close Juris-M, open Zotero, and then read about how to set up syncing, starting from here.
  • i did have it synced with zotero.org, but it wasn't updating automatically. so now ive done that and its updated. now what should i do?
  • If you close Zotero, start Juris-M, set your zotero.org ID and password in Juris-M sync (Preferences -> Sync, just as in Zotero), and then click the sync icon, your library contents should appear in Juris-M.
  • cool! its appeared, thanks!! do i now need to always open Juris-M and not Zotero? and do i need a separate plug-in for Juris-M in Microsoft Word?
  • and, of course, how do i achieve my main aim behind doing all this? i.e. the abbreviation filter!
  • edited May 14, 2018
    You can run Zotero or Juris-M (one or the other). The word processor plugin is the same for both, so if you have that working in one, it will work in the other (which is why you should run one or the other, but not both at once -- so that you know which client is formatting your references).

There are some guidance notes on using the Abbrevs Filter here:

https://our.law.nagoya-u.ac.jp/alumni/juris-m-using-the-abbrevs-filter/
  • Thanks I was able to activate the abbreviation filter, but not sure how to reach my aim of getting it to abbreviate the multivolume Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi each time an individual item from any volume is cited (after the 1st time obv).
  • There isn't a complete solution, but I think we can get you something that is close and convenient. Which style are you using?