Italics - rich text formatting problem

Hi everyone,
I've looked a bit on the forum to see whether people have encountered this as well but haven't found anything. But it's so basic I'm sure you have dealt with it already. My point: I apologize up front if this has been addressed elsewhere.

My problem: text simply doesn't work for in the one and only citation I use it in (there are no other instances of rich text formatting). It just renders it simply as text. What are the potential causes of this?

Thanks!
  • What's the exact title where you're using this? use [i] [/i] for the italics html markup so we can see where they sit
  • Thanks adamsmith for your swift response.

Wilhelm Dilthey, “The Types of World Views and Their Unfoldment Within the Metaphysical Systems,” in [i]Dilthey’s Philosophy of Existence: Introduction to Weltanschauungslehre[/i], trans. William Kluback and Martin Weinbaum (New York: Bookman Associates, 1957), 26–27, quoted in Kevin Vanhoozer, The Drama of Doctrine: A Canonical-Linguistic Approach to Christian Theology (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2005), 259.

where everything from "Wilhelm...quoted in" is in the prefix for the title that comes afterwards.
  • edited April 2, 2018
    I'll take a look in a bit.

@Phenox Is there a reason why you need to write an entire fully formatted citation in the prefix field, rather than inserting it in the usual way?
  • Thanks fbennett. Is there any other way of doing this without having both titles show up in the bibliography?
  • After inserting the bibliography, if you place the cursor in it, you can remove items by clicking on the "Add/Edit Bibliography" icon, selecting the target item in the right-side list, and clicking the left-pointing arrow in the center of the popup. The item will be removed from the bibliography, and so long as the bibliography block is not removed and reinserted, the item will be omitted on refresh.
  • edited April 2, 2018
    I tried the full cite as a prefix, with italic markers, in a processor test and in Juris-M, and it works normally, rendering italics.

@adamsmith Do you see a failure for that input in current Zotero?
  • @Phenox which word processor? Could you submit a Report ID?
  • @fbennett The input works correctly for me, rendering italics as expected.
  • Report ID: 473545865
    I use Word 2016
  • Any reason you are staying on Zotero 5.0.35.1? The latest version is 5.0.43. You should update and try that again.
  • Adomasven, I read your comment and opened Zotero and lo and behold it started updating lol. It's now 5.0.43. But still no change unfortunately.
  • What do you mean by "no change unfortunately"?
  • I meant to say that the italics thing still doesn't work for some reason.
  • Do you get the tags in the rendered text, or are they simply missing and the text isn't italicised?
  • Also (and sorry to be pedantic!) have you tried switching the document to another style and back? The processor in 5.0.43 should be handling those tags correctly in that case.
  • adomasven, the tags appear in the text
    fbennett, just tried it now and nothing changes

It's probably something blatantly obvious I'm doing wrong, but I just can't seem to figure out what it is...
  • edited April 4, 2018
    The only other thing I can think of would be to open that particular citation for editing (via the Zotero plugin) and re-save it into the document. If you had made changes to the text, you will get a pop-up asking if you want to keep the changes. If that happens, answer "no" and things should come right.

If that doesn't work, export the item as CSL JSON, and post the output back here. If one of us can reproduce the same behavior, we can fix it.
  • @fbennett this is the same issue you addressed yesterday (or today?) where is causing the xml parsing error. The error is definitely fixed in the latest Zotero beta build and perhaps in Propachi?
  • Yes. In fact the string in the second post by @Phenox features in a test fixture (which I've just revised slightly to align it fully with the example—and it still passes, along with a couple of similar fixtures).

I haven't seen any cases concerning (double-quote). I assume you mean (\u2019)?
  • Right. Zotero 5.0.43 does not yet include the citeproc version which fixes this issue. @Phenox you should either install Zotero Beta or the Propachi plugin into Zotero 5.0.43 to fix the bug.
  • Ah - Propachi is out of date at the moment. My script is failing to upload to GitHub for some reason. So Zotero Beta is the way to go. Sorry about the confusion.
  • Installed Beta and everything is fine now, all italics.

Thanks everyone!