Extra author options

Hi,
Arabic books necessitate some extra author titles such as "tahqîq" (تحقيق), "nâshir" (ناشر) (publisher).
Is it possible user-defined author options? Or any other possibility?
  • no, sorry, you can´t custom define anything. What do these two author roles do exactly?
  • edited March 25, 2018
    Hi @adamsmith,
    Let's assume a manuscript. There are several copies of a manuscript, and "the contributor" sees all of them. He/She prepares this manuscript as a book, and pointed the differences among the various copies at footnotes. This "contributor" or "contribution", is a "tahqîq". We may say that he/she is less than an author, but also more than an editor.

If there is one copy of a manuscript, and "the contributor" prepares this copy as a book, noting the possible mistypings or misspellings etc., this contributor is "nâşir".

Scholars or students who use both Latin and Arabic books need all of editor, tahqîq and nâşir as author options because these refer to different kinds of contributor/author.

I wonder whether or not secondary contributors note macro contains "contributors" and "collection-editor". If so, this problem may solve.

edit: mistyping.
  • What would be the role of "editor" in this context?
  • edited March 25, 2018
    "Editor" will continue to be used for the editorial books in Latin and Arabic languages. On the other hand, collection-editor may stand for "tahqîq", and contributors for "nâshir".
  • collection-editor is used for the editor of a book series. It isn't really appropriate for what you describe. contributor cannot be cited (it is intended for persons who contributed to a work in a minor way that would not typically be cited).

I'm still not clear what you mean you mean by "editor". Do you mean the individual who is responsible for coordinating the preparation of the publication? If so, then it seems like the distinction you are making between the two types of "contributor" and the "editor" is the same that is made in french between the "éditeur [editor]" and "directeur de la publication [editorial director]". The editor is responsible for "editing"--adjusting language, noting inconsistencies, etc., whereas the editorial director coordinates all of the contributions. If that accurately describes the case, then it would see that "editor" should be mapped to "editorial-director" and tahqîq/nâshir might both be mapped to "editor" (unless one of them should not be cited, in which case that would be mapped to "contributor" in Zotero [and therefore nothing in CSL]).
  • edited March 26, 2018
    "If that accurately describes the case, then it would see that "editor" should be mapped to "editorial-director" and tahqîq/nâshir might both be mapped to "editor" (unless one of them should not be cited, in which case that would be mapped to "contributor" in Zotero [and therefore nothing in CSL])."

Dear @bwiernik,

Unless zotero prints "tahqiq" and "nashir" in footnotes or bibliography, mapping them "editor", "editorial-director", or " contributor" is useless for writing an article, a thesis, or a book.

Simply, using books in both Latin and Arabic books, we would like to be able to use editor, tahqiq and nashir together. We would like to use author titles/roles as seen on the books. If author is editor, let the editor be used. Or if the author is "tahqiq" or "nashir", please provide us this opportunity or option if it is not impossible or too difficult for you. Or please show us how we can configure our style in a way that we are able to do this.

• I think this issue was just raised recently by another user: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/70688/adding-investigator

The definition of tahqîq/tahkik from that OP was an "investigator".
  • Okay, that is helpful. So these are similar to "compiler"--another type of creator that is called for by some citation styles. CSL, the citation style language Zotero uses to format citations, doesn't currently have a type of creator that corresponds to that role.
  • yeah, it sounds like with compiler and editorial director (and respective terms in Arabic) we could get close to this, though it may also require some multilingual features (if I understand correctly the request is to have these terms even when citing Arab texts while writing in a different language).

This is pretty involved so it's not something that'll happen any time soon -- and may actually happen later than the ability to add some custom fields to Zotero -- but we'll add it to our list of possible changes for CSL & Zotero fields
  • Thank you for your response @bwiernik and @adamsmith.

I added "collection-editor" to "secondary contributors note macro", and also added a prefix "thk.". So, it is done.

However, I couldn't add "contributor" to the same place. Because, author options does not contain it. Is it possible visual csl editor may contain it?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pn30qoMUkdBe0oAHRb0LsGm9R5Ow2pIC
  • no, contributor doesn't exist in CSL, you can't use it in a citation style
  • Sorry to hear that.
  • edited March 26, 2018
    Then, is it possible Zotero library author options may contain editorial director?
  • At present, you can add editorial director to an item by placing it in Extra like this:
    editorial-director: Family || Given
  • edited March 27, 2018
    @bwiernik,
    Thank you so much.
    This method will work, and I will keep using it until such an option comes under the author's tab.
  • edited April 9, 2018
    Are we able to re-name "editorial-director" in this formulation? For instance, can we use its translation?
  • Yes, you will be able to use the translated term for editorial-director for authors you enter this way
  • Editorial director stands for "neşreden" in our Turkish style. So, I wonder if I could use "neşreden" in "Extra" rather than "editorial-director.

Is
    neşreden: Family || Given
    possible instead of:
    editorial-director: Family || Given
  • no, you cannot use any translation. You can only use the name of the CSL variable. It will still print the Turkish label, of course, in Turkish citation styles.