Please help!

Hello Zotero,
When I installed the new version of Zotero, everything changed and I'm lost. With the old system creating bibliographies and footnotes was easy. Now the format is different and whenever I attempt to create a bibliography or footnote a screen tells me that Zotero is not open, even though it is open. I am able to use all Zotero features except bibliographies and footnotes. Any thoughts? Thank you for helping.
Andy
  • What is your operating system? Have you tried restarting your computer? Could you submit a Report ID?
  • Thanks, for responding. My operating system is OSX El Capitan version 10.11.6. The computer has been shut down several times. I can't seem to figure out how to submit a Report ID.
  • What part of submitting a Report ID are you having trouble with?

Can you take a screenshot of what you're looking at, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here, and then describe exactly what about what's pictured is tripping you up?
  • Thanks
    I can't find where to submit a Report ID.
  • adomasven linked to how to submit an error report ID:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems

dstillman was also asking about a screenshot.
  • Hello,
    Zotero is proving difficult. When I can get it to work, it's great. Most of my success is as a function of luck, not knowledge. For example, my citations have changed to a style that I don't recognize and I can't figure out how to change it back. The preferences section eludes me. I've tried the help section, but I just get confused. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • We're happy to try to help, but we'd need you to try to provide more details of what you're trying, not understanding, etc. A good way to do so is to describe not what you're finding confusing, but what you're doing and what happens with as much specifics as possible.
    E.g. "The preferences section eludes me." is not something we can really help with. On the other hand, a specific description such as, "In Word, I click on "Document Preferences" in the Zotero bar but there are no styles I can choose from in the window that pops up" (for example -- if that happens to be your problem), gives us a clear sense of what's going on.
  • Thank you for your clarification. I managed to access Preferences. Could you please explain how I reset the citation style? When I started using Zotero I set the citations on Chicago Style and now they are different. I think I must have changed the settings somehow.
  • Again, not quite sure what situation your problem refers to, but in a given Word document where you're using Zotero to cite, you can select the citation style under "Document Preferences"
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
  • Good evening,
    When I attempt to add bibliography citation appears where the cursor is placed. Then, I receive a message telling me that my operation cannot be completed. Can you help please?
    Andy
  • To clarify my previous post, it should be the word citation appears not citation appears.
  • “Citation” is the placeholder text Zotero inserts when it is processing your document. What exactly is the error message you get?