Zotero Plug-In for Word (16.10) on Mac: "OSStatus error -1728" is back

This discussion (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/69942/word-plugin-errors-with-word-2016-for-mac-version-16-9/p4) has been closed, so I'll start a new one because the Error suddenly occurs again everytime I try to add a new citation:

"Ein Fehler ist beim Update Ihres Dokuments aufgetreten.

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[insertFieldRaw:document.m:1346]"
  • Are you saying that the problem wasn't present and started occurring recently, even though you had updated to Word 16.9+ a while ago? Were there any recent system changes on your system?
  • I updated to word 16.9 a month ago and 16.10 two weeks ago. The plug in doesn't work for me. It's fine when I open a document and insert citations, but if I close that document, when I open it later I get an error message :
    "Zotero ne peut pas mettre à jour ce document car il a été créé par un autre traitement de texte avec un encodage incompatible des champs. Afin de le rendre compatible avec Word et LibreOffice, ouvrez le document avec le traitement de texte avec lequel il a été originellement créé, ouvrez les Préférences du document Zotero et choisissez de le formater en utilisant des Signets."
    "Zotero can't update this document because it was created with another word processor with incompatible coding". Suggestion is to use bookmarks for formatting.
    I'm using Zotero 5.0.35.1.

What to do?
  • Hi this is the same for me too. I have Word for Mac 16.10 (180210) and High Sierra 10.13.3. When I try to add a citation in Word I can see the Zotero toolbar in my word document but I receive a message saying Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again. I have zotero and firefox open. Have reinstalled both. What can I do?
  • @adomasven No, nothin. It's just happened all of a sudden. I found out, that every citation-style making actually food notes crashes down, every time I try to create a new reference. All the others are working. That's strange, isn't it?
  • For good measure, have you tried restarting?
  • @Saffron%20Woodcraft you should go into Zotero -> Tools -> Add-ons and make sure Zotero Word Integration plugin is enabled, which might fix it.

@Orphée and @Saffron%20Woodcraft you will need to create new threads for your issues as they are different to the one in this thread.
  • @adomasven Yes, I did. Several times, but: no change...
  • You can work around this by inserting footnotes manually and then inserting zotero citations there. Is your version of Word localized (e.g. in German)? We have a few users reporting the same problem, but nobody is sure what causes it to start.
  • @Benj1 would you test something?

1. Open Script Editor (either under /Applications/Utilities/Script Editor.app or via spotlight), press "New Document" and paste this script into the window?
    2. Open Word with an empty document
    3. In Script Editor click the "Run the Script" arrow which looks like a Play button.
    4. Look at Word and note where the cursor is and what is currently on the page, then remove everything.
    5. In Script Editor remove hashes from the three lines below (1.), then run the script again
    6. Repeat step 4.
    7. Repeat step 5., but remove the hashes from the two lines below (2.)
    8. Repeat step 4.

Report the results of the test here. I.e. where the cursor was for steps 4, 6 and 8 and what were the contents respectively.
  • edited March 1, 2018
    @adomasven

Yes, my Word-Version in localized in Germany as well.

Here are the results of the skript:

After 4.: on the page there appeared a new footnote referenz in the textfield (a little 1). Furthermore there is, as usual, a new (but empty) footnote at the button of the page, right obove the footer line (a little 1 as well). The cursor is right in front of the little 1 in the text field.

After 6.: almost the same as after 4., but: the coursor is now right behind the footnote referenz in the textfield.

after 8: same as after 6. but: there is a grey backgroundet "00.00.00 00:00:00“ after the little 1 in the textfield. The coursor is between the little 1 and the grey backgroundet numbers in the textfield.
  • edited March 2, 2018
    (Issue resolved by update.)
  • edited March 4, 2018
    I'm getting this error too--whenever i try to add a citation in Word. I'm in the US, OS is High Sierra 10.13.3. Word for Mac is the 365 subscription, version 15.41. I uninstalled and reinstalled Zotero. Reinstalled the plug-in as well. Tried the script thing described above and still get the error.
  • Sorry for the trouble, we're looking for a fix. For the time being you can work around this by inserting footnotes manually with Word and then inserting zotero citations in the footnotes.
  • Ok, @Benj1 , could you do the same for this script? You only need to run this and describe what is on the page and where the cursor is after the operation.
  • Sure.

So, after running the script, there is a new reference: a little, suspended 1 in the main text field. The curser is placed directly on the right of it. In the footnote section (at the button of the page, right obove the footer line) appeared, as usual, a new footnote: a little, suspended 1 as well. The footnote text aside of the 1 is: 00.00.00 00:00:00.
  • @adomasven

The result is the same as the last script, so: there is a new reference: a little, suspended 1 in the main text field. The curser is placed directly on the right of it. In the footnote section (at the button of the page, right obove the footer line) appeared, as usual, a new footnote: a little, suspended 1 as well. The footnote text aside of the 1 is: 00.00.00 00:00:00.

• @Benj1 Could you download the Beta build of Zotero and see whether the issue is resolved (i.e. whether inserting with a footnote based style works without adding the footnote manually first)?
  • I installed the beta-Version and tried it out, bit unfortunately it doesn't work. The problem's still the same...
  • edited March 13, 2018
    As a side comment: I'm seeing the same thing (English language on Word and Zotero), but only since installing 5.0.36. I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 and Word for Mac 16.10.

Edit: 5.0.37 and reinstalling the plugin didn't solve it on my machine.
  • I downgraded to 5.0.34.2 and tried it. But even then the problem's still there, which is weird, cause it once worked on both versions and all of a sudden nothing worked anymore...
  • @Benj1 could you try the beta again, which should fix the issue properly now?
  • After the first test, it works perfectly fine, thank you so much! I'll keep on checking within the next days and tell you, wether there occur any problems. Thank you!
  • edited April 12, 2018
    There was an error before the last update. Afterwords everything is good.