Failing to initialize because of A Contra Corriente.js?

edited February 25, 2018
After updated to version 5 and installing, I'm having issues with exporting. I noticed when I first installed Better BibTex and its notifications never changed from "Better BibTex: Initializing / Waiting for Zotero database..." The Export pane in the preferences also held on "Loading..."

Based on another discussion of a similar sounding issue (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/70519/default-format-for-export), I waited, but with no luck.

The debug notes describe a failed attempt to remove a JS file:

[JavaScript Error: "Unix error 1 during operation remove on file /Users/USERNAME/Zotero/translators/A Contra Corriente.js (Operation not permitted)" {file: "(unknown module)" line: 0}]

I posted an issue to BBT (https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues/916), but whatever is wrong seems to be happening within Zotero before BBT can do much. I'm at a loss as to what to try next and appreciate any advice.
  • I'd try resetting translators from the advanced tab of Zotero. If that doesn't work, check permissions in the /Users/witulski/Zotero/translators/ folder.
  • edited February 25, 2018
    No luck with resetting the translators. I changed the permissions of the Users/USERNAME/Zotero/translators folder (and only the folder) to read and write, but that didn't do anything either. What should they be?

And the specific file is still listed as read only for staff and everyone. Changing it was not permitted, even using sudo in the terminal.
  • The entire Zotero folder needs to be readable and writable by your user account (which it would be by default unless you copied it from another account or computer).
  • Hmm... So that adds to the mystery. The file in question is rw-r--r--, which should be fine, then. The others in the translators folder also all appear to be (at least) rw- for the user. That said, I'm still unsure as to why I would not have the permission to change these settings, even with sudo.
  • Can you share the output of this command?

ls -dla ~ ~/Zotero ~/Zotero/translators ~/Zotero/translators/A\ Contra\ Corriente.js

(You can x out the username, as long as it's consistent.)
    Changing it was not permitted, even using sudo in the terminal.
    What do you mean by that, exactly?
  • edited February 27, 2018
    443441 /Users/USERNAME
    8593162825 /Users/USERNAME/Zotero
    990864 /Users/USERNAME/Zotero/translators
    990868 /Users/USERNAME/Zotero/translators/A Contra Corriente.js
  • edited February 25, 2018
    Regarding the sudo...

chmod 777 ~/Zotero/translators/A\ Contra\ Corriente.js
    chmod: Unable to change file mode on /Users/USERNAME/Zotero/translators/A Contra Corriente.js: Operation not permitted

sudo chmod 777 ~/Zotero/translators/A\ Contra\ Corriente.js
    chmod: Unable to change file mode on /Users/USERNAME/Zotero/translators/A Contra Corriente.js: Operation not permitted
  • I appreciate the help so far on this. The issue is still there, I have not been able to solve it. I also recently learned that it is preventing me from being able to create bibliographies: I can't even copy a citation's entry to the clipboard.

When I right click a document and choose "Create bibliography from item," the output mode has two radio buttons, the first of which is blank. The citation styles and language dropdown are also blank. After I choose "Bibliography" and "Copy to clipboard," I get the following error: "An error occurred while generating your bibliography. Please try again."

I've tried a number of things so far, but without this basic functionality, the program is simply a card catalog. I'd love any further ideas!
  • edited April 19, 2018
    this is not going to be dstillman's favorite method and he'll likely have a better idea, but I'd try to brute force this:
    1. Close down Zotero
    2. Rename ~/Zotero to ~/Zotero-old
    3. Restart Zotero and make sure your library is new/blank. Check that you're not seeing the errors you had previously
    4. Close Zotero again and restore your library using the zotero.sqlite file and storage folder from Zotero-old
  • That appears to have worked, I can create bibliographies and BBT is initializing (though I don't have the time right now to ensure that it is working). I appreciate the help.