Word plugin crashes Word when trying to insert citation

Just reported error 1008447894, working with Word Plugin and zotero standalone 5.0.34.5.
I've been writing a document couple of days now, no problems before, but today suddenly Word crashes when trying to insert a citation, and while it notices something went wrong and tries to restart I get an error (The remote procedure call failed [setCode:field.cpp] - although this is a different one, the previous one was insertraw something). Zotero does not crash.
It does this whenever I click the add/edit citation button on the plugin while the cursor is in that place, and it does this before the popup with the field for searching the citations comes up (so it's not about a specific reference). I can still insert citations elsewhere, so this is not a huge problem 'cause I can just move the citation - but a bigger issue is that the first time Word crashed, it also erased my whole history, so I did not have autosaves, and it could not repair, it just said I had not recently opened any document. That cost me a half page of work, and I really can't afford that again.
In hindsight, something happened with zotero already some time ago (month? a couple of months?): earlier, the popup for citation search came up very quickly, but lately it has taken couple of seconds each time, sometimes much longer (so I have got it up by clicking zotero standalone and then clicking the word document again).
  • In hindsight, something happened with zotero already some time ago (month? a couple of months?): earlier, the popup for citation search came up very quickly, but lately it has taken couple of seconds each time, sometimes much longer (so I have got it up by clicking zotero standalone and then clicking the word document again).
    Are you saying that as soon as you activate Zotero window the citation dialog pops up when experiencing slowdowns? Could it be coincidental?

Your report shows insertFieldRaw:document.cpp error, so there is some mixup in your story, or there may be multiple reasons for the crashing. Either way please see this thread, install the proposed fix from this comment, which might fix it.