attachment file name is changed automatically

2»
  • I have to add my voice to this conversation. For 20+ years I've named files according to my own system, and I have no desire for them to be renamed automatically, since my system works *for me*. I don't use any importing system.
    Having spent a fair chunk of time this morning trying to get Zotfile to *not* rename my files - though this forum thread explains just why it wasn't working, despite my using the "never rename" setting in Zotfile>advanced preferences - I happened on the following workaround:
    I drag my file (named the way I want) into Zotero *without* attaching it to a reference, and it doesn't get renamed. I then drag it into the reference and it keeps its original name.
    I hope my comment helps some people.
  • Yes, the next release of Zotero will add a preference to disable the automatic renaming for manually added files — it's available now in the Zotero beta. (And for people who do want automatic renaming, the beta expands it to apply to all methods of adding child attachments as well as Retrieve Metadata for PDF.)
  • Zotero 5.0.36, available now, includes both expanded auto-renaming and the option to turn it off from the preferences.
  • edited April 5, 2018
    I would appreciate if I could at least change the renaming pattern. I want year at the beginning and then title and then the last name of the first author.
  • Note that there is no "at least" here -- you can turn off the automatic renaming if you don't want it.

You can also customize how Zotero renames, see attachmentRenameFormatString here https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences#general_preferences
  • (And while you can make those specific changes now, we're planning to add further customization options in the not-too-distant future.)
  • Automatic renaming indeed is very helpful. I am wondering if it is possible to have customization on the naming pattern, say, truncation after ":", only using articles name without author name, and etc??

• @liuling You can do both of those customizations with the Zotfile plugin.
  • @bwiernik Thanks for the reply. Does the customization inside the Zotfile influences the auto-renaming mechanism of the Zotero itself? I thought Zotfile is a standalone plugin, and Zotero and Zotfile have separate re-naming tool.
  • The renaming tools are separate, but you set Zotfile to automatically rename files as well. Zotfile's renaming will override Zotero's.
  • edited April 20, 2018
    I hope to be in the 'right' discussion, but I noticed that - however having unselected the 'use zotero to rename' option - automatically added pdfs (from the safari addon) and pdfs directly added to zoter get automatically renamed by the zotero rule and not the zotfile rule. This happens, if I remember well, since the last update to zotero standalone (or maybe a more recent update).

Note: if clicking in the right-click menu on 'Rename Attachment', it uses the ZotFile rule.

If appropriate I could open a github issue (with screenshot, ...). Or maybe I'm wrong :)

Zotero: 5.0.44
    ZotFile: 5.0.7
  • Hi,

I am not debating the validity of this feature, here. I'm sure some would love it. But as it most things in the world, things do anatagonise some people, whilst they are joy to others :).

Okay, I have figured a way out to get past this problem of Zotero renaming files. It is not the the most elegant solution, but works for me:

1. Add attachment > Attach link to file
    (File name gets messed up)
    2. Go to the folder where the PDFs are stored and rename the file to your chosen format.
    3. Re-attach PDF (Don't delete the existing link with the messed up filename).
    Add attachment > Attach link to file

Voila! File name is now not being messed up.
    4. Delete the existing link with the messed up filename.
    5. Optional: Clean up Trash!

Sorted. For the time being.

• There really is no reason for workarounds. As we say twice above:
    Zotero 5.0.36, available now, includes both expanded auto-renaming and the option to turn it off from the preferences.
  • @floriand -- I'm not sure if you're actually still having the problem? If so, try with the Zotero rename option turned off.
  • Hi.
    Does Zotero's "expanded auto-renaming" provides a way to rename using a patern similar to ZotFile's %F?
    "%F author’s last name with first letter of first name (e.g. EinsteinA)"
    Thanks!
  • Not currently. If you want expanded control over rename rules beyond %a, %y, and %t, you need to use Zotfile.