Downloading PDF from Google Drive

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero can't grab the pdf metadata after it upgraded!.
  • When I click on the Chrome connector button it doesn't automatically retrieve the metadata. When I right click on the file there are no options for creating parent item or retrieving metadata.
  • Sorry, you'd have to start at the beginning (that's why we generally ask users to start new discussions for issues). Your issue doesn't sound like the same as the one reported here.
    Where a you're importing from, what exactly is the problem, where are you right-clicking, and what are you seeing on right-click.
  • It seems like the same issue to me. I'm trying to grab this paper:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxncm9jaGV0ZXxneDoyOTNiMzllYjg1OGYzMzQ1
    When I click the connector it saves the file and creates a parent item with the same name without searching for metadata. Then in Zotero when I right click on the file or the parent item there are no options for retrieving metadata.
  • edited December 21, 2017
    no, not the same issue at all. You just can't import PDFs from google drive directly. Download the PDF to your computer, drag it to Zotero, and you'll be able to run retrieve metadata.

Edit: fixed typo
  • It doesn't let me drag the file to Zotero (on a mac). I also tried to file/import and got "file type not supported".
  • You mean you can't drag a PDF from Finder to Zotero? That shouldn't be a problem. You can also use "Store copy of file" under the green plus sign.
    Import is for something different; that wouldn't be expected to work for PDFs.