Entire library sync

I just set up Zotero Storage and have set my entire library to sync. It says it's syncing, but I have only used 500MD of my storage space. On my computer the Zotero storage folder is over 4GB. I have set it to sync full-text content, so I'm not sure why it is so much smaller.
  • It likely just hasn’t finished uploading the files yet. Does Zotero say that if you hover the mouse over the sync arrow? Zotero does compress files on the server, but the difference probably wouldn’t be that large.
  • If I hover over the sync arrow it is saying "Last Sync 10 minutes ago" or however long it's been. The arrow animation does it's circling and then stops, so I think it's finished syncing.
  • In your Zotero sync settings, do you have File Syncing enabled?
  • Yes. I have both "sync automatically" and "sync full-text content" checked. It does seem to be syncing, and I've spot checked files on the Zotero web interface, but I was just concerned because of the huge difference in the size of the local storage folder and the size of the Zotero cloud storage I'm using.
  • How many items do you have in Zotero? -- my guess would be that the 4GB could be due to some excessively large webpage snapshots that
    a) Zotero really needs to do something about (and they know that) and
    b) would shrink dramatically on the server, where they are zipped
  • 908 items in the entire library.
  • 500MB are not implausible for a library of that size. I have 1.5GB with 5,000 items (though many of them w/o attachments). This looks fine to me.

One other thing would be that if you have groups that you belong to but not own, they'd show up in your folder size but not your online storage usage.
  • Thanks to you both for your help with this. I wonder if it would be possible to know in advance how much space a user is likely to need for their online storage. I've purchased unlimited storage, and only needed the smallest size. It doesn't bother me, because I don't mind supporting the awesomeness that is Zotero.
  • edited December 16, 2017
    There's not really a good way to estimate that accurately, but if you're using less than you have you can just change your subscription to a smaller size and it will extend your expiration date out. (Same if you had purchased the smaller size and needed more — you'd just end up with less than a full year.)
  • Is the comment @dstillman made still accurate for 2021? If I purchase the smallest size (2 MB) and then purchase the next smallest size (6 MB) because I realize I need more storage, I would need to renew after four months?