Is there any way (or planned to be implemented) feature to update citations after added to Zotero?

I've lots of papers (usually from arXiv) which has been added early access. After some times these papers get published in the journals and there is a need to update the citations. Is there a way for Zotero or another application to give them these paper and retrieve the latest information online and update the detail?

p.s. I know Mendeley has this feature but I'm asking a workaround for Zotero.
  • Such a feature is planned, but no ETA. Currently what I do is add the published version using the DOI with the Magic Wand tool, then merge the two items.
  • I have a similar workflow with small differences. I click on the DOI or URL field and that opens the article page, where I click the Zotero browser connector to add the article - so total two clicks. After that, merge keeping the older (early access) version as master. I also have a colored tag labelled "ASAP" that I assign to any early access item; that helps me keep track of which items need to be revisited for full citation data.
  • edited November 28, 2017
    At the moment jabref has this functionality but right now as you said the only solution seems to add and merge manually.

BTW, there is "unfilled" category which can be used for detects items need update metadata.
  • I’m not sure what you by your second comment regarding “unfilled category”. Do you mean the “Unfiled Items” Collection? That shows all the items that aren’t a part of any collection (folder). It has nothing to do with the items’ metadata.
  • bwiernik, my bad. You're totally right. Thanks.