Style Request: Ecology Letters

Ecology Letters is one of the top journals in ecology, so it would be great if this style was available in zotero. I don't know yet how to create my own zotero styles, so would appreciate some help.

Similar style : American Psychological Association

Differences from similar style:

1) Citation: when more than 2 authors, only first author should be named, followed by "et al." (in italics).

2) Bibliography

Journal article: standard journal abbreviations should be used. Also, issue number should not be listed.

Book section: start is the same, but everything after the title is different.

Book: edition should not be in parantheses, and no page numbers are listed. Also, location and editor is different.

URL: only year, no date. "[WWW Document]" should be added after title. Then, "URL http.//www.url.com" is added.

Link to style guide: http://www.wiley.com/bw/submit.asp?ref=1461-023X&site=1

Many thanks in advance for your help.
  • Hi,

I created a basic style for Ecology Letters and placed it in the csl subversion repository (ecology-letters.csl). It doesn't appear on the zotero styles website yet. If that part isn't automatic, could someone add it to the website.

The style could be classified as "works for me". The test cases I have tried all look correct and agree with the website for the journal, but there are undoubtedly cases that I have ignored. There is also one thing that I couldn't get to work: using the "accessed" date as the issued date for webpages if there is no issued date. As far as I know, what is in the style file looks correct to me, but it doesn't do what I expect. Other than that, it all looks correct to me.
  • that happens semi-automatically: If it doesn't work, Dan just puts the style up as soon as he sees the committ.
    On https://www.zotero.org/trac/timeline you can see that your committ went through.

As for the last issue
    why not something along the lines of

<choose>
    <if type="webpage">
    <choose>
    <if variable="issued">
    <date variable="issued>
    </if>
    <else>
    <date variable="access">
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    <else>
    <date variable="issued">
    </else>
    </choose>
    <date va
  • What I have in the .csl should be functionally equivalent to what you put (at least that is my understanding):

<macro name="issued">
    <choose>
    <if variable="issued">
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </if>
    <else-if variable="accessed">
    <choose>
    <if type="webpage">
    <date variable="accessed">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text term="no date"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <text term="no date"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>

It first checks for issued and uses that if available. If not, it checks for accessed and then checks to see if we are dealing with a web page. If both of those are true, then it uses accessed, if not, it returns no date. But for some reason, the check for "accessed" is never true. Is this a bug or am I doing something obviously wrong?
  • I just tried switching the order of the test on accessed and the test on type webpage and it is still the test on accessed that doesn't work as expected. Is this perhaps a bug or perhaps the test be <if variable="access">, though this would be strange as many csl files have <date variable="accessED">?
  • Good to know. I will just leave the csl as is and when the bug is fixed it should start working.
  • I have a revision to request for the Ecology Letters style. Everything in this style is accurate except for two things:

1) When there are two different citations that have the same first author and year, the in-text citations need to add letters differentiating, for example:

(Einstein et al. 1918a) for one of the papers and (Einstein et al. 1918b) for the other.

In current form the style adds the 2nd author's last name instead, which is frustrating because I must go in and change these manually.

2) When there are two authors with the same last name but different initials cited in different places in the reference list, all of the in-text citations add the first initials, so that, for example:

(Einstein 1918) becomes (A. Einstein 1918).

This is frustrating because I must remove these initials manually as they do not conform to the journal's style.

Can these changes be made please? Or direct me to a different style that matches Ecology Letters in these ways? Thank you.
  • I uploaded a new version in which both issues should be fixed (it might a moment for it to show up in the style repository: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/9786/mla-style-for-journals-is-incorrect/?Focus=46124#Comment_46124 ).

For the technically inclined, the style was in fact correct, and the culprit was an old Zotero bug which sets options to "true" when their value is set to "false" (or any other value), e.g. <option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="false"/>
    The way to circumvent this bug is to remove the entire line from the style, in which case the style (correctly) defaults to the "false" value.
  • Thank you very much for your prompt response. This did indeed solve the problems I described.

I have come across another issue with the (1918a),(1918b) labeling of same-year papers by the same author. When I have two papers that have the same first author and year but different coauthors, Zotero only assigns the a,b designation if the papers appear consecutively in the reference list. But if there is another paper in between the two in the list, with a different year (because the ref list is alphabetized so the name of the 2nd author determines ordering), then the a,b designation is not added.

Does this make sense? It is a specific circumstance but troubling when it arises (as it has for me).

Many thanks.
  • edited September 15, 2010
    That might be a bug in the Zotero CSL processor, which probably will be fixed when Zotero 2.1 comes out. I don't think we can fix this in the style.

[edit: are you running Zotero 2.0.8? Some recent releases had issues with sorting of the bibliography]
  • Ok, thanks. I am running Zotero 2.0.6, so that's probably not the problem. Like I said, this is a minor issue so I am happy to wait for 2.1.

The problems that you were able to fix were much more troublesome. Many many thanks, I wish I had posted to the forum sooner!
  • actually 2.06 is a version with a known sort bug - you should upgrade to 2.0.8