Chemie, Ingenieur und Technik Style

2»
  • I don't see any repeated answer. However, I wondered why, opening my browser, the posting was still not posted. So I posted it a second time erroneously. Afterwards I saw that it is already present and I modified it to the las posting. Do you still see the other posting?
  • Let's not take this thread too far. damnation provided the style for the journal mentioned, which is valid and should run correctly on any software implementing CSL. That should really settle the citation style part of the issue.

If you are interested in working with Zotero and have trouble with something (LibreOffice integration, it seems?), please start a new thread and provide details on any issues you encounter:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_steps_to_reproduce
  • @Tomagic2000 I think you are just confused about how to use the word processor plugins. The properties window doesn’t have anything to do with the Zotero database. It is simply the window asking you to choose a Citation Style for the Document you are writing. When you insert a citation, Zotero adds a placeholder field with the text “(Citation)” until you finish entering citations in the window that pops up.

See usage instructions here:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/indicator-kde-connect-send-sms-autocomplete

To reiterate, Zotero never requires you to interact with its database. I think you are overthinking this. I would just recommend that you use Zotero as intended, rather than being concerned about its storage format. All Bibliography management programs use some form of database file at their core (most of which, including JabRef, using SQL). But certainly do whatever makes you comfortable.
  • JabRef can use an SQL database to share the bibliography, but it's primary data format is just a Bib(La)TeX file.

JabRef is decent if your only target is latex, but my main (not exclusive) target is latex, and I still prefer the capture and organization features of Zotero.
  • Thats what I thought (it is principally using bibtexFiles) but I was not fully aware of the possibilty to import from or export to an sql database. However, I don't use any LaTex or Tex. Jabref has been used by several people at the research center where I work, together with DocEar and with Miktex under Windows. They recomended it to me about 2 years ago. Now I have the choice to improve and correct DocEar or to take another software...
  • JabRef and DocEear are primarily TeX-oriented; there are ways to use it with Word, but I'm not sure you'd want to, and there's no LibreOffice support or MacOS support. IOW, JabRef and DocEar are OK if you use TeX. But as said, I use TeX primarily, and I still use Zotero.

I could never get used to the UI of DocEar. It uses so much space to convey so little information. To each their own.

I'd say that Zotero is your best bet, certainly if you are looking for an open source solution. I would also say that it has good BibTeX support through the Better BibTeX plugin (certainly the best of all non-TeX ref managers), but I may be biased on that, as I am the author of said plugin. Just set it up for auto-export and your TeX users won't ever know there is a translation going on behind the scenes.

Can't help you with the styles though.
  • edited November 5, 2017
    Hello, I have one last question which is directly connected to the thread. The code I modified, based on the journal of computational Chemistry does not give the same result with the Visual editor and with Zotero.

https://gist.github.com/Tomagic1000/0bac8ff917f25dbcf7e992e0f658f62e
    << adamsmith 6 days ago
    <<Your style produces duplicate pages&volume in Zotero, too. LiborA's doesn't.
    <According to the validator there are two errors.Furthermore, Volume and pages are <given two times - a second time behind pages and year in my WORD-Document.

So there must be an error somewhere. The question is: It is in the editor or in Zotero?? Both should be reliable software! Someone should verify Zotero concerning the problem!
  • edited November 5, 2017
    That style doesn't validate: http://validator.citationstyles.org

Further, the style itself lists "volume" and "page" twice. For volume, it's on line 56 and line 97. For page, it's on line 61 and line 146.

So the issues you bring up are problems with the style, not with Zotero.
  • And problems with that sense of entitlement I'd say.
  • The reason the duplicate volume and page doesn't show up in the visual editor is just that all examples for journal articles there have DOIs and the problem only occurs for items without DOI.

The validation error is indeed a problem with the visual editor which allows you to generated invalid date formats; it's a fairly small problem and not a priority to fix, but we'd gladly take patches.

Zotero -- on whose forums you are posting this -- handles all of this correctly.
  • Thanks for the explanations. I am impressed, I didn't see this. When I modified the code I hoped to show the DOI idependent of the presence of the volume and page,
    since the CIT style needs not only the DOI of an article in a journal if it is still in press but also if it is already printed (and present off course). By the way I contacted the author of the style file but he said he couldn't help me since he created the file years ago.
    However, in the case of the journal of computational or the modified code there must be a problem somewhere that you might be able to explain me. Using the style of the journal of computational sciences or my modified code (in both cases),
    http://editor.citationstyles.org/visualEditor/
    I don't see at all why there is no author for the patents shown by the visual editor. The authors are in the second position and there is no exclusion of the authors in case of the patent.
    In the visual editor the author is not shown but DocEar shows the authors as I would expect from the code. So is the displayed reference list of the visual editor correct? How does it show up in Zotero?
    Concerning the visual editor: why is there no possibility to take a thesis as an example to see the style ?
  • The Patent example in the visual editor does not include an inventor. You can see the full metadata under "Search by Example".

The list of examples in the visual editor is somewhat arbitrary. It is possible to add custom examples via CSL JSON under advanced (and no, I don't think Docear can produce CSL JSON output).
  • @Tomagic2000
    re your question why there is no thesis in the CSL editor. You can simply use the Zotero Style editor you can find in the Zotero Preferences. there you can use any citation you fancy from your Zotero ;) thesis, patent... anything.