Chemie, Ingenieur und Technik Style

Hello,

I hope someone can help me urgently. I just found out, that I have a problem with the style I need in the journal "Chemie, Ingenieur und Technik" to present the references correctly. Furthermore, dead line for submission is in 2 days...
I searched for a several hours. Now I found the nearest style is "Angewandte Chemie International Edition".

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/angewandte-chemie.csl

However, It does not show the DOI at the end (after "pages.") and the numbers are supersript in the text instead of normal e.g. [1]. Finally there is a strange problem with the showing of the references, e.g. in the "titles" of the books and "booktitles" of conferences the blanks are missing (like in some otherwise useful styles as well for journal names), for example book titles are shown like this:

IndustrielleOrganischeChemie,BedeutendeVorundZwischenprodukte. or ProceedingsdesJahrestreffenReaktionstechnik.

Can anyone help me quickly?

I did the changes myself in the visual editor but the new style is not integrated or visible in the list where I select the citation style.

Thanks very, very much.

Thommy7571
  • Hi,

If you made some changes in the editor you can save it as a .csl file in there and Zotero will recognise it and you can install the flstyle.
    Otherwise you can go into Preferences and install the file there.
  • edited October 30, 2017
    Hello, I worked further 15 hours on it. Everytime I succeed in changing something, other problems appear. I still need to verify my paper and read it. Instead I find allways errors everywhere... The Visual editor does not show what I get if I use it. Even the unchanged style does not give the reference exactly how it should be.
    After changing, pages of articles are given twice - but only in my WORD document - not in the visual editor.
    For a paper-conference the year is given twice using
    style "journal-of-computational-chemistry"
    Using "Angewandte Chemie - International edition" - just changing the cited reference in the text from superscript to normal - I get a text in the reference field like ""<<span style="baseline">>2<</span>> for each cited reference...

Often I cannot dowload the style... Nothing happens pushing the button...
    I don't know what to do anymore...
    The code is to complex and I have neither time nor experimence.
    Could you please, please help me...

How is it possible to send a file

Thommy7571
  • Dear Thommy,
    in the first step, you can try to validate your style on http://validator.citationstyles.org/
    If you need next help, it should be better to share your style on gist.github.com and put here the link on your style and description what you need to change. We can suggest the specific correction for you.
  • Hello,

Try:
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/chemie-ingenieur-technik-2

This style would work quite good, if there were not two problems:
    1) (biggest problem): I get this <<span style=baseline x span>> string like mentioned.
    2) There is a comma between journal name and year.
    3) I need the DOI for all articles (only). independent if not publish or published and printed (with page and volume)
    4) The authors are missing in case of patents.

I would like if someone can test it with zotero because I use DocEar.
  • I just found out myself. Isn't it saved to the given url after saving it there? How can I send a style file?
  • I would prefer to send the description of the editor. There are many document forms and at least article, patent, book, conference and accepted but unpublished article need to work.

As an alternative to the code given before - starting from" journal of computational" chemistry instead of "Angewandte Chemie International edition" - I will give the code (with two errors according to the validator) also.
  • Neither pdf nor doxc Files work!! Although given as supported!!

I can give the second code as wanted but it is not shown correctly. However, the original code of "journal of computational" chemistry " is not shown correctly either...
    Problems are:
    1) if DOI is given, volume and page is not shown but need to be shown as well in each case (issued or only accepted).
    2) for paper-conferences the year is shown two times.
    3) year of patent need to be BOLT as well
  • https://gist.github.com/Tomagic1000/0bac8ff917f25dbcf7e992e0f658f62e

This is my second alternative to obtain the desired style.
    According to the validator there are two errors but they are difficult to find for me.
    Furthermore, Volume and pages are given two times - a second time behind pages and year in my WORD-Document.
    OK, there is one error in your style:

line 48: <date variable="issued" date-parts="year"> should be <date variable="issued">

there is missing information about template style . I think it is angewandte-chemie.csl

link to the documentation on the line 7 is not correct

issn and eissn are not correct

do not use <names variable="author" display="block">, use only <names variable="author">.

add2: I do not see a comma between journal name and year in the style output. I got for example:
    L. Ansorge, J. Dlabal, A. Dostálová, J. Urban Environ. Eng. 2016, 10, 25–34.

add 3: it is defined in the macro "access"; change <if match="none" variable="page"> to <if match="any" type="article, article-magazine, article-newspaper, article-journal">

the macro name "DOI" is incorrect, it does nothing.

add 4: it is based on the type of document what you use for patents. What type of document you use?

Thanks. By the way you are right, I confused two versions of this experimental style concerning the comma.
    There are surely some errors but there are two especially important errors for me:

1) all blanks are missing in title of books and conferences: IndustrielleOrganischeChemie,BedeutendeVorundZwischenprodukte

2) there is that strange error with the span around the cited reference number.

3) By the way the author names are not shown for patents although they should be given. Names are not shown for patents!

Do you see where they come from?
  • add 1: I am not understand what you mean. I see all blanks in output for mthe style: for example this is one output from the style:
    [1] L. Ansorge, M. Zeman, in (Eds.: J. Říha, T. Julínek, K. Adam), 14th International Symposium Water Management And Hydraulic Engineering, Brno, 2015, pp. 317–328

add 2: I again do not understand you.

add 3: see my post before.

There is code of the style, which I use for testing (there are editions mentioned before)
    https://gist.githubusercontent.com/libora/978996fb352bed6876af7d0d5312f312/raw/fa4e3006a2141d44616c6935656d6436c38e0678/chemie-ingenieur-technik.csl
  • Did you only check it with the visual editor or also with zotero?
  • <<add 4: it is based on the type of document what you use for patents. What type of <<document you use?

isn't it an extra document type??
    Did you only check it with the visual editor or also with zotero?
    No, I do not use visual editor, I use manual edition and testing output in Zotero.
    isn't it an extra document type?
    Sorry, I was a little out. On another site, I see the name of patent´s inventor in the output from the style template. And also the your of patent is on bold. There is no problem.
  • This means that the output is not the same in zotero and in DocEar it seems. This might mean that Docear does not work correctly in this case with the csl file.... Could you check and correct the code:
    https://gist.github.com/Tomagic1000/0bac8ff917f25dbcf7e992e0f658f62e

it works better with DocEar
    This is my second alternative to obtain the desired style.
    According to the validator there are two errors.Furthermore, Volume and pages are given two times - a second time behind pages and year in my WORD-Document.
  • That's not surprising. Docear isn't very acitvely maintained and we can't really help you troubleshoot how styles display there, I'm afraid.
  • Hello it would be nice to know if the file works with zotero perfectly. Could you have a look to see if you can correct it and try it with zotero?

Thanks very much.
  • LiborA posted corrected code above -- if that doesn't work in Docear, we can't really help with that. The validation error is explained in LiborA's post above, right at the top: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/290395/#Comment_290395

Your style produces duplicate pages&volume in Zotero, too. LiborA's doesn't.
  • Hello, it is clear that you cannot change the display of DocEar if the csl file is correct. I will clearly have to think about using Zotero in near future. However, I have a last question to LiborA. It is not clear to me which code is the correct code now. I tried all codes given above. I find an error in all codes with the validator. Furtherore, I have the impression that the code I supposed to be the last corrected code is the one I posted first: The citation numbers in the text have also this <<span>> baseline feature making the code unusable. Is it the code from...

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/libora/978996fb352bed6876af7d0d5312f312/raw/fa4e3006a2141d44616c6935656d6436c38e0678/chemie-ingenieur-technik.csl

? The following code from j Computational chemistry does not show such problem

I thought you took this code. Did you really take it? If nothing is changed for the citation numbers an error as that given by codes based on "Angewandte Chemie" should not occur since the file works with J Comp. Sciences. I suppose DocEar has a problem with the << as escape signs which are not correctly suppressed if the superscript is deactivated.
    In the meanwhile I prepared all files for submission and I just read that any deviation in my submitted document will change the state from "submitted " to "unsubmitted". If you used the other code before, can you please try to correct the code from Computational chemistry ?

Thanks

Tomagic2000
  • edited October 31, 2017
    I'll have a look into this now. Keep an eye on this thread. ;)

We're talking about this journal, right?
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1522-2640
  • Hello damnation,

in contrast to the other postings I didn't get any email that there is a new message:
    Your link was not valid. This is the journal
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1522-2640

I tried the style but it has the same problem as the last one. Instead of [number] there is <<span>> x <<baseline>> <<span>> (more or less). Did you use the style "journal of computational chemistry" as basis ? The style !Angewandte Chemie" doesn't work due the problem with >>span>> as I mentioned.
    Fortunately I only had about 20 references. So I used the style "journal of computational chemistry" and corrected all errors by hand. Hope anything wrong will not lead instantly to rejection... And if, at least I tried...and I will have the time to correct later. I didn't get all DOIs for my references.

If you want to it would still be nice to have the correct style for the revisions later...I really like DocEar. Is Zotero OpenSource? I would prefer to use JabRef with Zotero instead of such sql Files where you need data base software which is difficult to hand mostly very complicated and large. Files for jabref are text files but much better to handle and read. Furthermore, as long as the data base is not on a server (any way I prefer to have it locally) such data base software does is not practical. I would like to have Zotero with jabRef since DocEar is not maintained and faulty.

Thanks for your help.

Tomagic2000

• edited November 1, 2017
    (The links are the same—it’s just that the forum’s automatic link parser gets tripped up on parentheses in URLs).

Zotero is open source (http://github.com/zotero/zotero). It certainly won’t be changing to using a BibTeX file (JabRef is a specific software built on top of a BibTeX file and an associated SQL database, so I don’t really understand what you mean there) over SQLite. It’s strongly discouraged to edit the Zotero database directly (such changes don’t trigger syncing and can easily corrupt the database), so I’m not really sure why this is something that should factor into your decision of which tool to use.
  • I didn't know that jabref works with sql. I prefer using bibtex. I read that the zotero data base is like Fire Fox files, well hidden in the system... I don't like this, but perhaps I will give it a try...
  • Database files are quite standard for most applications, and it's generally best to let the app manage its own database, rather than trying to access or edit it yourself. If you use LaTeX for writing, the BetterBibTeX plugin for Zotero can automatically manage a BibTeX file for your Zotero library for you.
  • edited November 2, 2017
    Hello

I already did database programming. Using Jabref there is no problem, even with a missing databasekey. You just add it later if you forgot it the first time. There just will be a message loading the db.
    It is no problem at all to open, modify and verify the data in the database.
    I know how the problems with other databases, that is why I don't want MySQL or other sql databases.

I tried Zotero. It practically didn't work at all. I got many strange problems.
    Pressing "add a reference", I got the properties of the database.
    Another time, pressing "add a reference" I got a text in parentheses: {citation}.
    Form nearly 10 times one time it worked but afterwards it didn't work either...

Tomagic2000

• @Tomagic2000 why do you repeat your post from 1 November at 9:44 am? Do you read answers to your post?