Unable to install Zotero plugin in Word (Office 365 Mac)

When I try to install the zotero 5.0 plugin in word I get this message:
Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "Word does not appear to be installed on this computer. Please install Microsoft Word, then try again. @[install:install.m:153]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 212" data: no]

Does anyone know how to solve this?
thanks Bert
  • edited October 20, 2017
    What specific version of Word are you running? Are you by chance running the Office Insider Fast version (16.6 or later)? If so, that beta version currently brakes a lot of Add-in functionality (not just Zotero) and isn't currently supported. You should uninstall Word and reinstall the stable release version.
  • Thank you for your advice. Your right, I'm using version 16.7 (fast insider version). I will try to downgrade.
  • You will need to change your update preferences to not use Insider Fast, then uninstall Word and reinstall it.
  • Same issue here. 16.7 (NOT fast insider). I tried to hold off on updates, which worked for a few days but then Word forced the updates. So, re-installing Word is only a temporary solution if Word is ging to keep forcing updates to 16.7.
  • The current release version is 15.39. Disable Office Insider updates and reinstall. Hopefully they will have fixed the major bugs in this version before they push to the release channel.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Update-history-for-Office-2016-for-Mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7
  • edited October 21, 2017
    After downgrading to version 15.39 and unchecking the "join insider Fast program" checkbox in the upgrade panel everything works fine now!
    Thanks for your help bwierink!
  • @dstillman Can we pin this thread? This is coming up a lot recently.
  • I am running a Mac and cannot get pass the installation is there anyone up to assist?
  • We're happy to help, but you'd need to give us more details, starting with the exact Word version you're using and where you're stuck.
  • Dear bwiernik,

Thank you for your comments to fix Zotero problem in Word. I have wasted one day to solve this problem before. But, when I apply your commet, my problem is solved. Thanks a lot! You have saved my time (which I need most in these days for writing final papers).