Look Up tool does not recognize some ISBNs

Zotero is not finding data on the following ISBNs that I copied and pasted into the search field. I was able to find these in WorldCat. Does Zotero search the WorldCat database?

• Yes it does and they all work for me. Other ISBNs work for you?

If so, could we get a debug ID for importing from ISBN for one of these
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

I've seen a couple of other reports of this, so it does look there is an issue affecting multiple users, but none of us is able to replicate this. Do you mind sharing where (in the world) you are? Just in case that affects this.
  • edited October 19, 2017
    I am in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I submitted 54 ISBNs and all worked out fine except the ones I listed.

D939783941
  • and can you confirm that other ISBNs work?
    e.g. 978-0-8010-6627-6
    which would import from the LoC
  • @dstillman could you look at the debug above, please?
  • I just went directly to the LoC online catalog and these ISBNs pulled no results. Perhaps the LoC does not have these ISBNs anymore. Can Zotero pull data from WorldCat as a alternative if nothing comes from LoC.
  • That wasn't my question. I want to know whether the add by identifier tool is working correctly for you in general so asked you to test an ISBN that _is_ in the LoC, i.e.
    978-0-8010-6627-6

As I say above, yes, Zotero can and does pull from Worldcat where LoC has nothing. All 8 ISBNs you list import fine for me. I don't know why that's not working for you, hence the debug.
    It looks like instead of RIS it's returning some sort of HTML page with just "[WorldCat.org]" as the title. We can't see the full content in the debug output, but there's an 'executeRedirectPanel()' function, suggesting that this is some sort of redirect page. Oh, wait, we can. Just a sec.
  • As I mentioned before I loaded 54 ISBN's into the identifier tool and those 8 were the only ones that did not work. I also tried each of them individually.

"dbilberry 23 minutes ago edited 21 minutes ago
    I am in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I submitted 54 ISBNs and all worked out fine except the ones I listed.

D939783941"
  • In my defense, this time the post was edited, the bit about the ISBNs wasn't there when I originally asked.

Anyway -- the relevant answer is dstillman's post above -- which university is this? I'm wondering if this may somehow be related to using Worldcat as a discovery layer.
  • Regent University
  • If this is a laptop, I'd be curious if this works when off the university network.
    I am able to use the Zotero browser plugin to add things when I visit the worldcat site directly but when using the Zotero identifier search tool in the standalone version I get nothing.
  • I am sorry guys...I have been bugging you with two different issues today. I am about to head home now so I will respond to anything else you have later.

I am on a laptop. I will try the stand alone tool again once I get home and let you know what happens.
  • @dstillman did you take
    http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1001976334?client=worldcat.org-detailed_record&page=endnote
    from the debug?
    because that might explain it. That's not working for me either (though it should in theory).
    The translator should send to
    http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1001976334?client=worldcat.org-detailed_record&page=endnotealt first and does that for me.

I can replicate the same behavior in the browser: Clicking on
    Export to EndNote / Reference Manager doesn't work, but clicking on

Export to EndNote / Reference Manager(non-Latin) (that's the one with the alt in the link) does.
  • Sorry, it's trying both — but it's the "endnote" one that's returning the HTML page. The first one results in "WorldCat did not return valid RIS. Trying Latin RIS." in the output.

But the "endnote" link works fine for me — I get a RIS entry for that. What are you seeing?
  • (Oh, and just to note, RIS interception in the Zotero Connector is buggy on WorldCat in the released version — because of the new tab that they open — so it's possible that's what you're seeing if you're trying from the browser. That's fixed for the next connector version.)
  • yeah, that was the RIS problem; works with Zotero Connector disabled -- odd though, that it'd be working (i.e. downloading RIS -- no interception on either) on one and not the other with the connector running.

I've tried to reproduce this logged in to Worldcat with an individual account and connected to Worldcat via our proxy for authentication, but ISBN import (and accessing RIS) works fine for both. Regent doesn't use Worldcat as a discovery layer, so that also doesn't appear to be it.

• Hello, the identifier search tool in the standalone worked just fine for those same ISBNs on my home network.
  • OK, and what happens if you load http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1001976334?client=worldcat.org-detailed_record&page=endnote or http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1001976334?client=worldcat.org-detailed_record&page=endnotealt in your browser from your university network? Do you get a RIS file or a login page?

(Due to an issue with the current version of the Zotero Connector, try in another browser without that installed, or temporarily disable the Zotero Connector before trying.)