how to synchronize

I seem able to see on my local drive various files that are missing. I wonder if there is a way to put them back into Zotero using a synchronization method or other. can you help with the steps by step method
  • We'll need more information on what the problem is:

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • we have lost our files. How do we upload them back? or retrieve them
  • Sorry but we really need a longer description of what's going on -- just like you'd like us to give you step-by-step instructions, we need to understand step by step what you're seeing to give you the right information.
  • ok i have all my files on my computer . first tell me how do i upload them on zotero
  • You can just drag files from your operating system to Zotero Standalone, but I'm not sure that's what you want.
    You'll really get much better answers if you spend some time describing what exactly is going on.
    How are you using Zotero? Which version? When you say "files that are missing" -- where are they missing from? How can you tell they are missing? When you want to upload files to Zotero -- what exactly do you mean by that: attaching files to existing Zotero items? re-creating Zotero items? etc. etc. A good description that allows us to help will be at least twice as long as this post.
  • ok so let me explain:

i have files on my computer they show to be in a zotero storage but i do not see zotero installed. and in our account we dont see all files that we uploaded in our zotero.

now i just installed zotero version 5 and i want to copy all those files on my new version 5 of zotero . how do i do that and its even poissible .

please tell me step by step
  • when you say "they show to be in a zotero storage" I assume you're referring to a folder location? What is the exact location of that folder?
    And you have had Zotero on that computer before?
  • "What is the exact location of that folder?"
  • on my computer:

C:\Users\EFutrell\Zotero\storage
  • i tried importing those files from the folder from my computer onto zotero but it didnt let me
  • In the folder C:\Users\EFutrell\Zotero do you have a file called zotero.sqlite? What's its size?
  • OK, and when you got to Zotero and open the Preferences under "Edit" then go to Advanced --> Files and Folders and click on "Show Data Directory", what folder does that open?

Also how many items (more or less, doesn't need to be at all precise) would you expect in your Zotero database? A size of 1,804KB suggest a pretty small library.
  • ok i am here so i was trying to import but i think i have to manually add them , like drag n drop as it doesnt accept its format . but there are too many
  • I think it's a better idea to try to restore your Zotero library (and if you want to do that, please answer my last question above), but if you really do want to start from scratch:

To get PDFs into Zotero, yes, you'll need to drag&drop them or use "Store copy of file" under the green + sign.

Note that both allow you to select multiple files at once.
  • can i move it to my zotero online account my library instead of the one on the computer
  • now on my library the one which is company's we have our group library by the name of coimmune IP now its the same file that we are trying to retrieve. but we are doing a test folder on my account because we are scared to loose the files. so now on our library the documents are in organized order but when i upload it from computer saved files to another folder that i created it doesnt show up as organized
  • how can i

copy all that folder on another folder in zotero
    copy all the files from computer with one click on zotero
  • Sorry, I'm completely lost now. I do not understand how the group figures in here.

As for the questions:
    > copy all that folder on another folder in zotero
    I'm afraid I don't understand this

and
    > copy all the files from computer with one click on zotero

not sure what "all files" means -- but in general, there is no one click solution if you have a folder with hierarchies and you want to import all files in the folder to Zotero that'll take multiple operations. Depending on the details, using a saved search in your operating system may be a way to, e.g., get all PDFs from a folder hierarchy into a single folder from which you can select all + drag&drop
  • isnt there a way to syn all the files in to the zotero directory
  • ok so i created a folder with all my pdf but i want to restore my library so i will follow your instructions given last time
  • so on show data directory it shows folders and zotero.sqlite
    and zotero.sqlite.1 and zotero.sqlite.76 ( these two show pdf icon next to them) and zotero.sqlite-journal
  • so atleast 200 files
  • or maybe more in zotero database
  • And is the folder shown with "Show Data Directory" the same you looked at above, i.e. C:\Users\EFutrell\Zotero ? If not, what is it?
  • And when you open Zotero -- is your library entirely empty or are there some items in there?

Also, what are the respective sizes of zotero.sqlite.1 and zotero.sqlite 76?