"collection" field not imported from Sente

This discussion was created from comments split from: Error report 1769117688.
  • Dear team although this discussion is quite ol I must that I am in the same situation now. I switched to Zotero and everything looked just perfect until I noticed that Zotero did not import the field "collection". In Sente I use this field to fill in the (German) word "privat" for marking it as part of my (pretty big) library. I have now everything nicely imported (two tags are missing, but that is not too bad), but this rather important field is missing. In Zotero I can't (not like in Sente) modify of add fields thererfore I will have to quit here, too unless you don't have a suggestion. Kindly,
    Bernd
  • If Sente doesn't export that field, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do. Have you opened Sente's export in a text editor and checked?
  • Thanks for the swift reply. Yes, I did. The field has been exported (as I said). What it says is: "Collection_description = {privat}," There seems to no correspondent field. Help is (again) appreciated.
    Thanks
  • It's possible with a bit of tweaking to get Zotero to import that.
    What would be a good place to import it? Extra? Just a tag?

As you note, Zotero doesn't allow you to add custom fields, to this would need to be within Zotero's existing possibilities.
  • Sir, you are awesome! These swift replies are incredible....A tag would also be ok. I just need to have this information for myself, it does not need to be part of the reference itself. But how to I get Zotero import this field?
    Kindly, Bernd
  • 1. Find the file BibTeX.js in the translators directory of your Zotero data folder:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

2. Open the file with a text editor -- ideally a good editor like Notepad++ or TextWrangler, but regular Notepad or TextEdit will do.

3. Between lines 274 and 275: https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/master/BibTeX.js#L274 insert this code:

} else if (field == "collection_description") {
    item.tags.push(value);

(Copy & paste them to be sure and make sure you don't change any existing lines).

4. Save the file to the same location (in TextEdit, make sure to save in plaintext mode) and import again. You should get a "privat" tag.

Note that anything you break while trying this is easily reversible.

• Adam: Perfect. It went smoothley and was (after importing the library again) done in 5 minutes. Problem solved, happy user! :-)
    Kind regards from Germany,
    b
  • I am dealing with the same issue, but can't get Sente to export a file that includes the collection name. @bclausen - what export format did you use?
    Thanks!