Error report 1769117688

I don't know what this is. It happened while synching.
  • a bit more detail would help -- what are you seeing, what isn't working?
  • I don't know, and to be honest, I can't tell you more. I am trying (and boy does it take a lot of time) to delete every item in my library and start over. I got a message that a field was too long, and all I want to do is start over and see if it (and 25 other problems) go away. Sorry to not be more helpful -- if you look at my other bug reports, they are detailed.
  • you can just turn off syncing, move the data folder somewhere else https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data
    and restart Zotero to start fresh. If you want to clean the copy on the server, do a restore to server from the Sync/Reset tab with the empty library.
  • Well, that is what I wanted to do, but I couldn't figure out how to. I am going to read up on this a bit, and possibly open a new thread if I can't. Thanks.
  • I'd strongly recommend just taking a deep breath here and reporting the problems you're facing and letting us help you with them instead of taking more drastic action. Having a note that's too long to sync is a very minor problem that we can help you with. Other issues you're facing might be 5.0 bugs that need to be fixed — and if you don't report them they'll just be broken in a few days when 5.0 is released.

Deleting all your items is almost certainly going to cause more problems and quite likely won't fix the problems you were seeing.

Specifically for the note-too-long problem, all you need to do is click the button in the sync error dialog that shows you the note in question and then fix the note or delete it and empty the trash.
  • https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/63937/5-0-beta-error-report-974421677, for example, is something we definitely want to fix — but we need more info from you in order to do so.
  • Also, to be clear, I would not recommend spending a lot of time experimenting or digging through the forums trying to solve things, particularly with the 5.0 beta. We're more than happy to help — we just need to know what the exact issues are, and we can tell you the exact steps to take.
  • edited January 17, 2017
    Hi, dstillman

To be honest, I reported this error only because Zotero suggested that it would be a good thing to do. I have been having many more serious problems--for which I searched on this forum before reporting them--and then have tried to report them in way that would be useful to the developers. This bug I reported only because Zotero suggested I should.

I reset my database the only way I could figure out--by abandoning it and starting with a new login. I know that this is a waste of resources at your end, but I don't think there is currently another solution w/ Zotero 5.0. I did this because I had created a lot of problems in importing records, and it appears that if I "reimport" a record the record is duplicated, not updated. So rather than figure out what the problems might be, I did a new import into an empty database.

In any event, I am abandoning Zotero for now. I am a very frustrated user of Sente, which appears to have been pretty much abandoned by its developer, and I was hoping to switch programs. But, after finally figuring out that I could get my records into Zotero (good), I then figured out that Sente was not exporting many important fields (bad). This means that it would take me weeks, if not longer, to export my data in a way that would be useful to me in Zotero.

I like the program, and I really like the community of users that has grown up around Zotero, but for now, I just can't make the leap.

Thanks for your patience. I would delete my data at Zotero, but a quick survey of these forums and other help pages suggests that I can't do that right now with Zotero 5 stand-alone. If you want to take the time to delete the sync data for alanterra and alanterra1, that would be fine by me, but please don't delete the first account, in case I can come back here in the future.