Zotero Sync Error 765489320

After thinking I'd fixed a previous error (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/67168/error-at-sync-id-1206687243#latest ) by deleting the respective files from zotero and re-adding them, I seem to have developed another sync error, which seems to deal with re-naming of files?? Please advise on what I can do.

  • I just tried closing and re-opening zotero and re-syncing, and now have the error from report: 2030068357. This is the same as what I'd gotten before, so I think something must be unique to these specific documents??
  • Really weird -- I try syncing on another one of my computers (the one where I had deleted and then re-added these PDFs), and that one seems to sync without any errors ...
  • The messages about renaming shouldn't be a problem — it's the access-denied errors (which hopefully Zotero is now displaying a proper error message for). As I said in the other thread, this is most likely due to security software, so it's unlikely that deleting specific files would help. Even if you can't turn the security software off yourself, you'd want to see if you can find a log that shows operations being blocked, just to try to figure out if that's the problem.
  • Sorry, I forgot to mention it, but I had tried turning the security software off, but still received the same message, so I don't think this is the issue.

    Also, even with my "fix", I am still getting the same exact files as having issues, no matter which of 2 computers I am trying the sync on (the only one that wasn't, last time I checked, was the one I tried the "fix" on). So, I'm predicting it's something specific with these PDFs?

    Also, sorry, I'm speculating to try to be helpful, but perhaps you'll just see it as noise :P
  • The other potential causes would be an actual permissions problem in your Zotero data directory or your having files open locally when remote modifications come in.

    If you just add an image file to Zotero and sync that up, do you get the error trying to download that one on the other computer?
  • No, I don't think it's a permissions issue, and I don't actually have the files open. I haven't tried uploading another image file specifically to see how well it will sync, but I have ~300-400 other files in my library, which all transfer without any errors, so I'm guessing this isn't it. I'll next try modifying the buggy PDFs in some way (add a comment, etc) to see if the files are actually being synced properly, and I'll let you know!
  • So, it looks like it was a file-level permissions issue. When I tried to edit the documents, I was unable to do so, and when I looked into it, I found all three were set as read-only in the Windows level permissions. I don't remember doing this myself, so I think the original files I had added must have had these permissions settings set (I believe I had received these from other people via email).

    To fix it, I copied each of the 3 files to my desktop, and removed the "read-only" flag. I deleted the corresponding items in my library, then re-imported the 3 PDFs. This seems to have fixed the syncing error that kept popping up. (I had tried just changing the setting on the files directly, but when I clicked sync, the read-only flag kept coming back).

    Anyways, thank you for helping to narrow down the list of possibilities to help get this issue resolved!
  • Zotero 5.0.30, available now, should fix errors syncing files with the read-only attribute.
Sign In or Register to comment.