LibreOffice Integration error message

Dear Forum

I am repeatedly getting the following Integration Error message, although I don't run OpenOffice/Libreoffice.

"The version of the Zotero LibreOffice Integration component installed within LibreOffice does not appear to match this Zotero Standalone version. Would you like to attempt to reinstall it?

Please ensure your LibreOffice installation is properly detected. If you continue to experience this error, click the "Manual Installation" button within the wizard to show the directory containing the LibreOffice component. Double-click this component or add it from within LibreOffice to complete the installation procedure."

Not sure what the wizard is that's referred to. Would you know what to do to stop it popping it up??

Thanks!

Lizz

• Are you instead using NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org?
  • No Microsoft Word - I haven't used OpenOffice in years.. Don't think OpenOffice is still on my computer. I did a search - nothing.
  • edited August 4, 2017
    I guess you would get the message if something was accessing the TCP socket on port 19876 on your computer, which.. could be anything. There's an old piece of backwards-compatibility code for LibreOffice there.

You can technically disable the LibreOffice extension (under Tools -> Add-ons) if you don't use it and we shall remove the prompt at some point.

Although the fact that something is accessing such a random port on your machine is slightly concerning and you should make sure your machine is secure from external network attacks(see Dan's comment below) or malicious software.
  • We're only listening to requests from the computer itself, so it'd have to be something local to the computer. Alternatively to malware, it's possible that some security software on the system is regularly scanning all ports on the machine to make sure nothing is running (although I can't recall any previous reports of this).
  • I have a mac - I don't remember this happening before the upgrade (which I've only just carried out.)

Does that make a difference?

Slightly concerned now about security,

Thanks!
  • How often is it popping up?
  • Couple of times an hour..
  • So - frequently. I can't close the message. Have to reboot zotero each time.
  • edited August 5, 2017
    Why can't you close the message?

You should be able to trigger this manually just by loading http://127.0.0.1:19876/ in your browser with Zotero open. When I do that, I'm able to click Cancel to dismiss it.

In technical terms, the best way to debug this would probably be to install ngrep via brew and run sudo ngrep -d lo0 port 19876, and then wait for this to happen and see if there's anything enlightening in the HTTP request (or post it here for us to look at). If that doesn't mean anything to you, a Mac-friendly tech person should be able to do that for you.

Again, though, you can hide the message by disabling the Zotero LibreOffice Integration extension from Tools -> Add-ons. But that won't disable whatever on your system is triggering this.
  • Thanks! I'll get a tech friendly friend to look. I disabled the add on at least.