Can't add items from Scopus - I get a save dialog box in stead

Clicking the Zotero/item icon does nothing on Scopus, so I am trying to use the "export" function on the Scopus website. What happens then is that I get an open/save dialog box:

"You have chosen to open: scopus.ris (..) What should Firefox do with this file?"

Could this have something to do with my browser settings? Im using Firefox on Ubuntu and the standalone is version 4.0.29.10.

I tested just clicking the Zotero/item icon in PubMed and for saving websites and this works just fine.
  • When you say “nothing happens” when you click the Zotero button on Scopus, what do you mean? It should generally import.

If you do download the .ris file, save it and then open it (Zotero should have associated itself as the default application for .ris files when you installed). What version of the Zotero Firefox connector are you running? If you are running the most recent version, it has been transitioned over to Mozilla’s new extension system (the old system had been deprecated). The new system doesn’t allow extensions to modify the save dialog like the old one did.
  • @bwiernik :

To be precise, when I click the Zotero button it says "Saving to My Library". But the item is not added to the library in Zotero.

OK. When I try to open the RIS file it seems my text editor is the default program for opening RIS files. I can't find Zotero on the list of programs though, so I can't change it that way. Any ideas?

I'm using the most recent version of the Zotero Firefox connector.
  • Once you open the ris File, select all the text, copy it, then use the Import from Clipboard option in Zotero.
  • I'd start by upgrading to Zotero 5.0, which both may help with the save button problems (and if not we'd want a Debug ID from the connector for the save attempt) and should enable direct RIS importing as a fallback (at least from sites that serve it correctly, which may or may not be the case with Scopus).
  • @bwiernik Ok, thanks. I suppose I will have to make do with that work-around.

@dstillman I can't upgrade to Zotero 5, because the collection is being used for a website project that implements the Zotero API (v.3). I don't know much about these things, but I'm assuming the API for version 5 is quite different.
  • edited August 7, 2017
    No, Zotero 5 uses v3 of the Zotero API. You can safely upgrade. (In any event, the Zotero server and the Zotero client operate independently on different systems, so how other programs use the Zotero server doesn’t affect how the client works and vice versa.)
  • What is the file extension for the RIS file? I've seen the file downloaded with .txt. If that's the case, change it to .ris and see if the file opens in Zotero.
  • @bwiernik @dstillman :
    Glad to hear that the API is still version 3.

I installed Zotero version 5, but I still can't use the Zotero icon/button on Scopus (works fine on Pubmed). It is the same problem: when I click the icon it says "Saving to My Library", but the item does not appear in My Library.

When I use Scopus' "export" it no longer downloads the RIS file, but tries to import it. The only problem is that the references are not imported. The "Importing..." message does not go away, but stays visible.
    Debug output: D865047568

@gurdas : The extension was ris.
  • I just found out that right clicking on the Zotero icon and choosing "Save to Zotero (DOI)" works. I might have missed this before, because it takes a few seconds before the select-items box pops up. The disadvantage of choosing "Save to Zotero (DOI)" is that the reference does not contain the abstract from Scopus.
  • Try the latest connector version, 5.0.17.
  • edited August 9, 2017
    @dstillman I'm already using 5.0.17
  • Could we see a Debug ID from that for a save attempt?
  • @dstillman
    When clicking Zotero Icon "Save to Zotero (Scopus)":
    D783006873

When trying to import via Scopus' "export" (or RIS export) function:
    D323793651
  • Try updating the translators in the client (Preferences -> General), then in the Connector (Preferences -> Advanced) and try again. If it doesn't work, produce Debug IDs for clicking the button from both the Connector and the Client.
  • Yes, to clarify, we need Debug IDs from the connector — both of those are from Zotero itself.
  • @dstillman Aha, sorry.

When trying to import via Scopus' "export" (or RIS export) function:
    D1799881101.

When clicking Zotero Icon "Save to Zotero (Scopus)":
    D1241541471.
  • Seems that an attempt to load RIS loads a proxy login page. I don't have proxy access to Scopus to say more.

Did Scopus used to work before or is this the first time you're trying to import from it?
  • @adomasven This is the first time I am trying to import from Scopus. But Scopus' "export" function works fine for someone I know. The only difference I can think of is that he is using Zotero 4 and the old firefox add-on.
  • I have Scopus access here, I'll take a look asap.
  • @adamsmith Hi, have you had time to take a look?
  • edited August 15, 2017
    Would you mind posting the full Scopus URL as you see it?
    I have now tested both regular Zotero import and using the Export function both on and off campus (i.e. with and without proxy) on both Zotero 4 and 5 and (almost*) everything works:

* It looks like import from search results is broken, but that's not your issue.
    Also Zotero 4 won't recognize Scopus when proxied (which might be why import, ironically, works: it just graps metadata from the page).

Edit: for good measure, could you try unchecking the "Enable proxy redirection" button in the Zotero Connector preferences?
  • 1) Do you mean the front page url? It's

https://www-scopus-com.ep.fjernadgang.kb.dk/home.uri

(kb.dk is the website of The Royal Danish Library. I have access to Scopus via them.)

2) I was actually trying to export from the search results page. But I can't export from the Document details page either. When I try it also says:

"Importing..." (which does not go away)

and

"RIS file exported. See your downloaded file for more details." (and it does not download the RIS file).

3) I just unchecked the "Enable proxy redirection", but that did not change anything.
  • Do you happen to have JSTOR access through the KB, too? Could you check if that works with Zotero?
  • Yes I do. Export from search results downloads a RIS file. But if I press the Zotero icon while on a document details page it says "Saving to My library", but nothing more happens.
  • Yeah, that's the same issue then -- and I suspect the same issue as here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/67078/zotero-connector-does-not-add-items-via-proxy-error-report-id-1394844581#latest -- for some reason the Proxy doesn't remember that you're logged in when Zotero is making the request for the RIS.

Do you have conservative privacy settings in Firefox?
  • Ha, that was it! I have set "Accept third-party cookies" to Never in Firefox. So I added an exception for Scopus and now both types of import work (via Icon and via "Export"). Thanks a million!
  • I think using http://ep.fjernadgang.kb.dk and https://ep.fjernadgang.kb.dk might work better as exceptions (that should cover all proxied sites) and you wouldn't hit this error on every page with similar issues.