Zotero 5.0.7 won't import .ris file

As before, when I double-click the downloaded citation / .ris file, Zotero asks 'Do you want to import...'

I click 'OK' - but NOTHING HAPPENS.

?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for the import attempt?
  • I tried to submit debug output to Zotero server, but received error message:

Invalid response from server.
  • Can you click View Output and copy the output here? If there's too much, you can email to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • edited July 28, 2017
    [JavaScript Error: "repo.zotero.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
    An additional root certificate may need to be imported.
    [extra output removed — D.S.]
  • OK, so let's deal with one thing at a time. This wouldn't be related to your import issue, but something is interfering with your secure network connections (including Zotero's) — see SSL Certificate Error for more.
  • Ok - I'm in a fed government institutional environment and IT staff earlier this week was trying to resolve a Microsoft Office issue with suspected relationship to Zotero. In process, they installed latest version of Zotero...and now this problem has arisen.
  • edited July 28, 2017
    The network problem? Were you using Zotero for Firefox before? This wouldn't be a new problem in the standalone version — it just happens when your institution is intercepting/monitoring secure connections, and Zotero is dutifully protecting you from that. Firefox would've just already been modified to allow that interception.

If you're OK with doing the same in Zotero, the "certificate override" bit on the linked page applies. See Cert Override for instructions.

In the meantime, you can generate fresh debug output for the import attempt and paste that in here.
  • I've only been using Standalone - never Firefox version.
  • OK, well, it's possible they reset the previous profile directory or changed your proxy settings such that your connections are now being intercepted. This is a network problem/policy, not a Zotero issue. But you can follow the steps above to apply the certificate override (or have your IT folks do it).
  • I'll have to go through them....will let you know this proceeds - thanks.
  • Again, though, we can debug the import issue in the meantime if you paste in the debug output for that. That should be totally separate from the network problem.
  • edited July 28, 2017
    But this is the output generated:

[network errors removed — D.S.]

(3)(+0030003): Getting Zotero sync password

(3)(+0000001): Connecting to streaming server at wss://stream.zotero.org/

(3)(+0001224): WebSocket error

(1)(+0000000): WebSocket connection closed: 1006

(3)(+0000001): Delaying 60000 ms
  • OK, it's possible it's just not logging an error, though that's odd. In any case, let's back up. While downloading and double-clicking a RIS file should work, it's not the normal way of interacting with Zotero. Is there a reason you're not saving via the Zotero Connector?

If you really do need to use a RIS file, have you tried importing it into Zotero from the File menu?
  • edited July 28, 2017
    But just to be sure, since we'd still want to debug the double-click part, you were clearing/enabling the debug output, attempting the import, and then viewing the output?
  • edited July 29, 2017
    Replicated one more time and received this output:

[network errors removed — D.S.]
  • Yeah, nothing relevant in there. See my other questions above.
  • Response when trying to add Connector to Chrome:

Zotero Connector (extension ID "ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc") is blocked by the administrator.
    CLOSE

Response when trying to use Firefox:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.mozilla.org has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
  • I also tried to import via

File >> Import

Nothing happened.

Also tried to add item by entering DOI in the 'Add Item by Identifier' box: Nothing happened.
  • Oh, so you're not actually using the Zotero Connectors at all right now? Yeah, you really want to be using one of those — they're a pretty core part of Zotero — so you'll need to talk to your IT department to allow one of those.

(But "www.mozilla.org"? That was trying to install the Zotero Connector for Firefox from https://www.zotero.org/download/? Weird.)

Adding by DOI won't work until you fix the certificate problem, because that requires a working HTTPS connection.

This seems to be an extremely locked down system, so I'm going to guess that the import failure is also related to some permissions issue on the machine that's preventing Zotero from accessing files in other directories. Not that it's a good solution, but I suspect it would work if you opened the RIS file in a text editor, copied the contents to the clipboard, and used File -> Import from Clipboard — that may be the best you can do for the moment.
  • working with Zotero standalone 5.0.47. I was previously able to import an RIS file, but no longer. Telling me file format is not supported.
  • Open the RIS file with a text editor and copy the first ten lines here, please.
  • ID - 000416166000025
    AU - Kamel, Fatemah O.
    AU - Magadmi, Rania M.
    AU - Hagras, Magda M.
    AU - Magadmi, Bashair
    AU - AlAhmad, Reem A.
    TI - Knowledge, attitude, and beliefs toward traditional herbal medicine use among diabetics in Jeddah Saudi Arabia
    JO - COMPLEMENTARY THERAPIES IN CLINICAL PRACTICE
    PY - NOV 2017
    VL - 29
    SP - 207
    EP - 212
    SN - 17443881
    AB - Herbs have long been used in the treatment of diabetes. Therefore, a cross-sectional study of a random sample of diabetic patients was conducted to assess their knowledge, attitude, and beliefs about the use of herbs to control diabetes. Approximately 64% of the patients had previously used herbs for controlling diabetes; 27%, 20.3%, 15.2%, and 10.8% used myrrh, black seeds, fenugreek, and aloe, respectively. Approximately 55.1% patients preferred using herbs to prescription drugs, while 75.2% used herbs with the prescribed medications. Only 38.3% patients informed their doctors about using herbs. Moreover, 54.2% of respondents experienced no side effects using herbs, and 64.5% noticed an improvement in blood sugar level while using herbs. No significant relationship between demographic characteristics and herbal medicine use was found. In conclusion, most diabetic patients exhibited low knowledge, attitude, and beliefs regarding herbal use. Therefore, the development of an awareness program is needed to improve these factors. (C) 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
  • Where is that from? Zotero doesn't recognize RIS records without a TY - tag at the top (and it's not valid RIS without that)
  • Hmm. It was delivered by my university library
  • delivered how?
  • export function
  • do you have a link to the library catalog? Or where did you use the export function more specifically?
  • can i edit the text file to include the "TY"?
  • absolutely you can edit the file -- it should say

TY - JOUR

in the first line, above ID -
    That's for journal articles such as this one. Other item types need different four letter codes.

But this is for every entry, not just once at the top of the file.