save pdf to zotero 5 standalone

Hello all,

I have just installed the newest version of Zotero Standalone and I can say this is a very inspired change! I do have some issues and I don't know if they are due to the change or they will be implemented at a later date. I use Zotero with chrome now that it is not part of Firefox anymore and I have noticed that when I open a pdf in the browser, the connector does not offer to save that pdf to zotero. I have to download it and then add it myself. The old usage was to save directly to zotero and it would automatically pull the necesary info too.

Is this feature gone now? Or is it going to be implemented at some point?
  • Clicking on the Save to Zotero icon does not change the PDF? I thought it did and it's supposed to. The (slightly less comfortable) alternative is to drag the URL to Zotero Standalone by click&dragging on/from the left of it.
  • In chrome, I click on the save to zotero and I only get to save a snapshot. If I try to save the file localy I don't get the save to zotero option like I used to do in Firefox. How do you drag an URL to zotero?
  • Yes, you can just click the save icon when you're viewing a PDF, but you need to be viewing the actual PDF, not an HTML frame.

Can you share the URL where you're seeing this?
  • sorry I am an idiot! I click on the save to zotero and I get the window to save the file in zotero. The annoyance is that it obtains the metadata and creates an entry for the file downloaded, but it also creates a blank entry with no title, only some information about the webpage I downloaded the file from. It does not merge the file with this info.

Sorry for the confusion! I am still getting used to the new system!
  • edited July 16, 2017
    The annoyance is that it obtains the metadata and creates an entry for the file downloaded, but it also creates a blank entry with no title, only some information about the webpage I downloaded the file from. It does not merge the file with this info.
    No, what we're describing would result in a just a standalone attachment item in Zotero (which you could later run Retrieve Metadata from PDF on). You can test this at https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf.

If that's not the behavior you're seeing, we'd want an example URL. Most likely it's an HTML frame.
    How do you drag an URL to zotero?
    To drag, you drag either the padlock/globe area to the left of the address bar or the tab icon into Zotero. But clicking the save button should be identical.
  • You guys were right! The problem was on my side! All good now. As I said it will take some getting used to the new system.

I am now at work and I was trying to install zotero 5 on linux and all I get is an archive which I unpack and I can run zotero from there but I can't figure out how to add zotero to my start menu so I can find it easily and not dig for it in my home dir. But that's a question for another topic I suppose!

Thank you for the assistance!
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/quick_start_guide#how_do_i_install_it

(But yes, start a new thread if you have trouble with that.)