Space between Bullet and Text in Bibliography

Hello,

how can I adjust the space between bullet and text in the bibliography ?

currently it looks like:

1. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I want it to look like:

1. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

• On the forum, I do not see a difference between your two examples. What exactly you can? What style do you use?
  • Sorry,

X stands for Space and A for Text

currently it looks like:

1.XXXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I want it to look like this:

1.XAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

As style I use Vancouver. In the preview of this style the text looks much closer to the bullet.
  • The spacing between the number and the reference text is controlled by your Word Processor's document styles ("Bibliography" in Word, "Reference1" in LibreOffice). Change the tab stops for this style to control the spacing.
  • Thanks bwiernik,

the problem is, from time to time the Bibliography disappears from my document styles.

When I then click the Zotero Refresh button in Word the whole bibliography gets formatted as the main text with my standard document style (bigger letters etc.)

When the Bibliography style is available there is set a tab stop on the left with 0,88cm and a hanging indent with 0,89cm. When I delete the left tab stop there is no change afterwards. Just when I delete the hanging indent the second line moves under the bullet.

Kind regards,

Jan
  • I don't think the style would disappear. By default in the styles list, Word shows something like "recommended styles". If you change the view to Styles in Use, you should see Bibliography whenever Zotero has inserted a bibliography.

You want to modify the bibliography style, not manually delete a tab stop. I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the rest there. Could you clarify?
  • I am using styles in use but there is no Bibiography - maybe I have to mention that I use word for mac.

Sometimes - I am not sure when - the Bibliography style reappears and is the style for the Bibliography until I refresh Zotero then it is my standard document style again.

When the Bibliography style is available in the document styles there is set a tab stop on the left with 0,88cm and a hanging indent with 0,89cm. When I delete the left tab stop there is no change afterwards. Just when I delete the hanging indent the second line moves under the bullet.

But the biggest problem is that the Bibliography disappears as soon as I refresh Zotero and becomes formatted as my standard style.
  • What I have to do to get the Bibliography back in my standard document styles is to click on Zotero Set Doc Prefs and then change the language. But when I save and close the document again the Bibliography style disappears. When I then refresh the Zotero, my Bibliography changes to my standard style.
  • I also can see after reopening word, when the bibliography is missing that there was created a new style called "Literaturverzeichnis1" which is the German word for Bibliography. But that style doesn't work for my Bibliography, as soon as I refresh Zotero it is back in "standard" style
  • Yes, you are right. Standard style is typically used for Zotero items in the document. I can only sugest you reformat your bibliography as the last step of creating a document before the submission.
  • At the moment I'm not where I can test this with current versions of Zotero and Word. However, in the past I was able to insert a section break, set the style to bibliography, click to position the curson in the bib section, and insert the Zotero bibliography there. The Zotero-inserted bibliography was styled according to the Zotero citation style selected but the finer details could be controlled with the Word bibliography style settings. Hanging indents, tab settings, etc. are under the control of the Word style settings. The same is so with LibreOffice on Mac.