Word Style Sheet reverts to "Standard" for Bibliography

I am sure I am missing something: Every time I update the bibliography, which was formatted in the "Bibliography" style sheet in word, it reverts to "Standard". When I then reselect the Bibliography and reformat it in the "Bibliography" style, pretty much everything is broken. I have to erase the bibliography, and regenerate it to get things back to normal.
  • edited June 26, 2017
    What versions of Word/LO and Zotero are you using? What citation style? When you say "Every time I update the bibliography", what do you mean--how are you updating it?

Also, is "Standard" your translation of the name of the default Word style ("Normal" in English versions of Word) or another style?
  • latest Zotero 4 on Mac, standalone. Latest Word plugin (I believe, how do I check? I updated it a few weeks ago.)

When I "Refresh" with the Word plugin.

"Standard" is probably the German style name of "Normal".
  • Forgive my persistence, but what version number of Zotero Standalone and what version of Word (2011, 2016, etc.)? The different versions of Word on Mac interact with Zotero using different methods, so it helps to know exactly what process is being used.

What happens if you switch to a different citation style? What if you then switch back?

The Bibliography using "Standard/Normal" instead of "Bibliography" is definitely not the expected behavior, so something odd is going on.

Some other things to try here. First, if you highlight the bibliography and manually set its style to Bibliography, is it fixed? Does it then persist over a Refresh? Second, what if you first set the paragraph at the cursor to Bibliography, then insert the Zotero bibliography?
    Word 2011

Actually, I was trying to avoid to switch citation styles, as this is a document with 650 pages, and 1800 footnotes. It takes _ages_ to switch styles.

Manually setting the style doesn't work, as it then destroys all formatting (italic titles etc).

I had set it to Bibliography, it is the only way to get it working in the first place.

I have had this problem for as long as I have used Zotero. It probably has to do with the German locale, and German stylesheets in Word.
  • Okay, let's troubleshoot in a smaller document if it is a persistent problem with all of your Zotero use.

Does changing styles fix the issue?

When you click Refresh and it changes to Normal, does click the Undo button ever change the style of the bibliography back to Bibliography?

@adomasven Have you ever encountered this with the Word 2011 plugin before?
  • Well, right now I am trying to finish my dissertation, so I have to postpone troubleshooting this issue, with is not really bothering me much at the moment (I will insert a bibliography manually anyway).

• edited July 1, 2017
    Same Problem here with Word for Mac Version 15.35.

As soon as I refresh Zotero the Word style for Zotero named "bibliography" disappears and the style for the bibliography at the end of the document gets formatted into the "standard" word style. I have to erase the bibliography or click on "Zotero set doc prefs" and switch the language to get things back to normal.

• I can now add:

It is possible to reformat to the Bibliography style sheet, but only in chunks. For some reason, if I select more than a page or two of the bibliography, the style sheet field in Word becomes blank and selecting another stylesheet will completely destroy the formatting (no italics any more in the bibliography). My guess: There is probably something broken in the handling of other language versions of Word.
  • "There is probably something broken in the handling of other language versions of Word."

I think so too.
  • It seems to me that this is an issue with Word, rather than Zotero. It looks like Zotero is looking for a Quick Style (QS) in Word specifically called "Bibliography". I running Word in Swedish, which means that by default, there is no QS with that specific name – that style is instead called "Litteraturförteckning", i.e., the Swedish translation.

If I rename that QS to "Bibliography" and then simply use the Refresh button in the Zotero Word plugin, all is fine. However, if I close and reopen the document, Word renames the QS to the Swedish translation, meaning that Zotero can't find its QS. Solution: rename and refresh.

This is obviously a bit tedious. One option is obviously to use Word in English. A more lasting solution, I suppose, would be to implement in Zotero an option to specify the name of the QS in Word to be used. Could any one of the developers offer a comment on that suggestion?
  • No news on what I suggested above? @adamsmith, perhaps?
  • edited December 20, 2017
    I've created an issue for this, but not clear when we get around to fixing it.