Report ID: 584908928

Since one of the recent Zotero 5.0 Beta updates (v219+ef1715e9e, I think), I have been unable, with a few scattered exceptions, to download entries from Firefox to Zotero Standalone. When I try to download an item, I get the Zotero dialog, "Zotero is Offline".

The status in the Zotero Connector reports, "Zotero is currently unavailable". However, http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping reports "Zotero Connector Server is Available".

No amount of page refreshing or closing and re-opening Zotero Standalone and Firefox seems to fix or work around the problem.
  • For this we'd want a Debug ID from the Firefox connector for trying to save.
  • Zotero Standalone v5.0-beta.220+5aaefff1d running on Windows 10 (64-bit) v10.0.14393 Build 14393.
    Zotero Connector v5.0.7 running on Firefox v54.0 (32-bit).

You can access screenshots at
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/92s93ddxh1i97cj/AACpujef4-UYEXgXs9_9agW6a?dl=0

I was unable to send the debug report and obtain a debug report code.

I went through the steps of enabling debugging capture in in the Zotero Connector, but when I selected "Submit Debug Report" (see B7625M0129 Screenshot.png) the connector returned an "Invalid response from server" error (see B7625M0243 Screenshot.png).

I also tried to select "Report errors" (again see B7625M0129 Screenshot.png), but I received an "Invalid response from repository" error (see B7625M0412 Screenshot.png).
  • Anything particular about your connection? E.g. using any addition security software (apart from Windows defender), proxy, or Firewall?
    Have you tried with all other add-ons disabled?
  • edited July 10, 2017
    The connector now works sometimes. But when it doesn't, I am unable to generate a debug ID and send a debug report (see screenshot B7625M0243 Screenshot.png at the URL above).

The connector is most likely to work if I first open a blank Firefox page, then check the status of the Zotero connector on the options page. If I start Firefox from a desktop shortcut, the connector seems (I think) more likely to fail.

I am using Norton Security.

My add-ons are as follows:
    - Adobe Acrobat DC - Create PDF
    - Mozilla Archive Format
    - Norton Security Toolbar
    - RoboForm Toolbar
    - uMatrix
    - Zotero Connector

I have been able to get the Zotero connector to work with these disabled. However, because of my extensive reliance for my regular work on these extensions I have not been able to leave them disabled for any extended length of time. Thus, my experience is anecdotal, so I cannot say with any certainty whether the disabling of these extensions affects the functioning of the Zotero connector.

If you have any strategy for isolating any of these, I would be willing to work with the Zotero development team to assist, to the extent that I can continue to be productive with my regular work in the meantime.
  • of those, uMatrix and Norton are both fairly likely culprits; Adobe and MAF are very unlikely and RoboForm pretty unlikely, so I'd focus on the first two.

If you can't submit debug you can copy it to a text editor, save, if it's large zip, and send to support@zo...ero.org ; Make sure to include a link to this thread.
  • edited July 10, 2017
    Okay. I'll try disabling those two for now.
  • the truncated e-mail is an attempt to not overexpose it to (spam)crawlers. You obviously spell out zotero.
  • I had this problem today with Zotero Connector 5.0.7 on FF 54.0. Standalone is version 5.0-beta.231+f7c1c56d7 and I'm running Ubuntu 16.10.

Disabling AdBlock Plus solved it for me.