Society for American Archaeology

When I generate the bibliography the format does not come out quite right:

It should look like this:

United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
1940 Willamette Valley Project Oregon. Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army. Portland, Oregon.

but it comes out like this:

Musil, Robert R.
2006 Archaeological Survey and Site Relocation Project, Fern Ridge Reservoir, Lane County, Oregon. Heritage Research Associates, Inc., Eugene, Oregon, May 26. 21736. Oregon State Historic Preservation Office.

Oh drat, it doesn't lay right in this text box, but the data after the date is supposed to be indented so that the date stands alone in its own column. There should not be words below the date. I know it is just a little thing but I can't manipulate the spacing after the bibliography is generated. Any advice?
  • We can't get that type of spacing right in citation styles, I'm afraid
  • Bummer about the hanging indent. It's a weird SAA quirk that looks nice on paper, but is super annoying to have to fix by hand anytime the bibliography is updated.

There are a few other issues with the SAA .csl style that I would totally volunteer to update, if only I knew how! Can I put in a request to have them fixed?

1. Soft returns are being inserted after each entry, which results in an extra blank line appearing between references. For reference, the American Anthropological Association .csl seems to format this correctly:

Current output:
    [soft return]
    Author [soft return]
    [tab] Other bibliographic information [soft return]
    [hard return]

Should be:
    [soft return]
    Author [soft return]
    [tab] Other bibliographic information [hard return]

2. Edited books are being output with a period after the term (editor):

Current output: Lock, Gary (editor).
    Should be: Lock, Gary (editor)

3. Authored books with editors and/or translators are being output with "Ed." and "Trans." instead of "Edited by" and "Translated by":

Current output:
    Porphyrogenitus, Constantine
    1985 De Administrando Imperio. Ed. Gy. Moravcsik. Trans. R. J. H. Jenkins. 2nd ed. Dumbarton Oaks Center for Byzantine Studies, Washington, D.C.

Should be:
    1985 De Administrando Imperio. Edited by Gy. Moravcsik. Translated by R. J. H. Jenkins. 2nd ed. Dumbarton Oaks Center for Byzantine Studies, Washington, D.C.

4. Original dates ("original-date" in Extra section) aren't recognized (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/63774/original-dates-of-publication). As a side note, the SAA actually distinguishes between dates separated by more than a century and dates separate by a century or less, and both are supposed to include information about the original publishing house and location (I suspect this goes beyond Zotero's capabilities). For now, adding the original publication in brackets would be a huge step in the right direction:

Current output:
    (Porphyrogenitus 1985)
    1985 De Administrando Imperio. Ed. Gy. Moravcsik. Trans. R. J. H. Jenkins. 2nd ed. Dumbarton Oaks Center for Byzantine Studies, Washington, D.C.

Should be:
    (Porphyrogenitus 1985 [1967])
    1985 [1967] De Administrando Imperio. Ed. Gy. Moravcsik. Trans. R. J. H. Jenkins. 2nd ed. Dumbarton Oaks Center for Byzantine Studies, Washington, D.C.
  • 1. I made a change, but not sure if that fixed it. please try :)
    2. dot removed
    3. could it be your entries in Zotero are not entered correctly?
    4. added that (I think)

New version: https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/72c1f38e5f16db941f3eb3c773e1635e09701668/society-for-american-archaeology.csl
  • Style is now updated. Will show up in the repository momentarily and auto-update for you within 24hs.
  • Thanks for your work on this!

1. Almost there - can a soft (or hard) return be added after the author name? The return was there before, but went missing.
    2. Awesome!
    3. Awesome!
    4. Fixed in the bibliography, but the in-text citation is now formatted as (Porphyrogenitus 1985 1967), missing brackets around the original date.
    5. (new request, just noticed this) There should be a tab on both sides of the year -
    right now, there is only one on the front end. Can a tab be inserted after the year, too, instead of a single space?

Current output:
    ___ 1985 [1967] _ De Administrando Imperio...

Should be:
    ___ 1985 [1967] ___ De Administrando Imperio...
  • I see there's been recent work for the SAA style, but I'm having trouble with the bibliography generated by Word 2016 with Zotero (5.0.35.1) in the SAA style. I'm a new user investigating Zotero for my research group, so perhaps I've overlooked a step that configures Word appropriately. Thanks for helping!

Here's what I get from Word for a sample SAA-style bibligraphy:

AuroraWaterColorado2010 The Homestake Project Pt. 3 - 1967.

Smith, Duane A.2009 The Trail of Gold and Silver, Mining in Colorado, 1859-2009. University Press of Colorado, Boulder.

Soil Survey Staff, Natural Resources Conservation Service2018 Web Soil Survey.

(When I pasted into this text box, I noticed there seems to be a tab prior to the date, but in Word that tab is not apparent. So for the bibligraphy above I've placed the date tight against the author entry, as it is in my Word document.)

Here's how the Bibliography entries should look:

Aurora Water
    2010 The Homestake Project Pt. 3 – 1967. Electronic document, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1uVQVpkBSE, accessed February 12, 2018. Aurora, Colorado.

Soil Survey Staff, Natural Resources Conservation Service
    2014 Web Soil Survey. Electronic document, http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm, accessed February 11, 2018.

Smith, Duane A.
    2009 The Trail of Gold and Silver, Mining in Colorado, 1859-2009. University Press of Colorado, Boulder.

(The latest revision of the SAA Style Guide http://www.saa.org/Portals/0/SAA Style Guide_Final_6-5-17.pdf clarifies that [Word] authors may fudge the hanging indent style (emphasis ** mine, and may be of interest also to op-- rmseifried): References are formatted by the [SAA] typesetter with an indented date created with a tab, a tab separating the title from the date, and a hanging indentation at the midpoint of the date for all lines that follow. [Word] Authors are advised to use a hard return and tab for the date following the authorship (first) line, a second tab to separate the title from the date, **and allow the rest of the text to flow without hanging indentation**. )

As a check of my item data, I switched to Nature style, and this is the Word output:
    1. AuroraWaterColorado. The Homestake Project Pt. 3 - 1967. (2010). Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1uVQVpkBSE. (Accessed: 12th February 2018)
    2. Soil Survey Staff, Natural Resources Conservation Service. Web Soil Survey. (2018). Available at: https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/. (Accessed: 11th February 2018)
    3. Smith, D. A. The Trail of Gold and Silver, Mining in Colorado, 1859-2009. (University Press of Colorado, 2009).

• This should just work correctly -- you can see on zotero.org/styles (by hovering over the style) that it's set up to have the author in a separate line. You're creating this using the Word add-on, right? Could you try using right-click --> Create bibliography and saving as RTF, then opening in Word?
  • I tried what adamsmith suggested (export bibliography as RTF and open in Word) and am getting the same result as before. There is no hard return after the authors' name(s). Verified this by turning on the non-printing characters, which shows the formatting as: [name] [tab] [year] [space] [title] ...

My Zotero is up-to-date (5.0.35.1), and running on Word 2011 for Mac.

Also, is it possible to add a tab *after* the year, instead of a space, as CulturalResources pointed out?

Thanks for your help on this, folks!
  • edited February 15, 2018
    @rmseifried and @CulturalResources

I have no idea about these things myself. I've inserted display="block" in line 353.
    Test this if this made a change: https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/d359fd7dcd0a1f98dfab6dc627d605e0eb9aa7dc/society-for-american-archaeology.csl

the specifications for CSL are here, so you can try yourself. I'm as clueless as you. http://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#display
  • @damnation This didn't fix the problem on my end, but after some experimentation I came up with a semi-solution. Is there a way to share my version of the CSL file with you?

Specifically, I applied display="block" to the author group, display="left-margin" for a new year group, and display="right-inline" for a new "rest-of-bib" group. This results in:

[soft return]
    Author [soft return]
    Year [tab] Rest-of-bib

Problems:
    1. The user has to go through and insert tabs before the year on each line. Alternatively, this could be formatted with display="indent" for the year and rest-of-bib as a single group (which is how it was set up originally, I think), but this means the user has to go through and insert a tab manually between the year and rest-of-bib. Not a total fix, either way.

2. Still not addressing the spacing issue, which I brought up originally. I gather this is because of using the "block" display, which adds a soft return to the start of each entry.

Oh, and I also fixed the brackets issue with original-date in-line citations, and removed the space between the colon and page numbers (e.g. journal articles), per SAA guidelines.
  • You can share code using this and making a secret gist and then sharing the link here. :) http://gist.github.com/
  • Sorry that was my bad, I thought we already had block in there and it looked like that from the preview online. You could try if inserting tab as an xml character before year works, that'd be

Indeed no solution to the the additional soft return. To most easily share your style see
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
    otherwise you can also just put it on gist.github.com and we'll replace the version in damnation's pull request.
  • @damnation @adamsmith Thanks for the help. Inserting the tab as an XML character seems to work!

Here's a link:
    https://gist.github.com/rmseifried/3b7851b765375c53e0c6629382806944
  • Great you worked it out! I've updated my initial PR with your code.
  • Thanks, everyone, for working on this!
    btw, I did try generating the bib from the rtf and opened in Word, and aside from the formatting issues, the URL info is still missing from the relevant items.

Thanks again -
  • Can you please specify?
  • Sure. These two bibliography entries were created by saving from Chrome (web page without snapshot) and editing the resulting item. Although the URL field is populated for each item, it doesn't show in the entries. When I switch to a different style, specifically Nature, the URL does show (output shown in my post above from Feb 12).
    Thanks!

AuroraWaterColorado2010 The Homestake Project Pt. 3 - 1967.

Soil Survey Staff, Natural Resources Conservation Service2018 Web Soil Survey.
  • Actually, the Soil Survey Staff entry was created as stated above, as a web page without snapshot.

The AuroraWaterColorado entry was initially created by saving from Chrome as a video recording and then edited to change to a web page item. I just recreated another instance of this item by saving from Chrome as a video recording to see if that'd make a difference in showing the URL or not -- as a video recording type, it still does not show URL.
  • Ok. I'll look at it. (Ping me here if I don't post anything within the week)
  • Just to say thanks again. I appreciate your help.
  • edited February 22, 2018
    @CulturalResources

Added proper referencing for post-weblog and webpage and added DOI for article-journal.
    Here we go: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/23341d24df4c5b18d338e2a64915f9d91760ce12/society-for-american-archaeology.csl
  • edited February 25, 2018
    Thanks... I've looked at the versions of society-for-american-archaeology.csl recently mentioned here in this thread, and what comes closest to the SAA style guide is the one updated 2018-02-15T14:25:40+00:00 -- and used with saving a bib entry as an RTF. (I don't know why I get a different result saving to clipboard or saving to html, but I do.)

Sample bib entry saved to clipboard or saved to html:
    Smith, Duane A.
    The Trail of Gold and Silver, Mining in Colorado, 1859-2009. University Press of Colorado, Boulder.

Sample bib entry saved as rtf (the tab after the date here is correct, rather than the hard return in the clipboard sample above):
    Smith, Duane A.
    2009 The Trail of Gold and Silver, Mining in Colorado, 1859-2009. University Press of Colorado, Boulder.

Interestingly, this tab-accurate sample bib does not render identically into my Word report template unless I paste it as a "Picture (U)". That is, if I copy the rtf file's sample bib and paste it into my Word report template using any of the other three paste options (keep source formatting, merge formatting, or text), the tab after the date disappears. I get a similar result (disappearing tab) if I use Word's Zotero tab to generate the bibliography. A work-around seems to be to select this generated bibliography, cut it, and right-click to use paste with the Picture option -- if I do this, the bibliography looks pretty darn good.

edit: You probably know that once this comment is no longer in edit mode, the nicely nuanced whitespace in the sample bib entry goes away and renders as one character of whitespace.

• @CulturalResources
    Can you get back to me regarding the last edition and the adaption for webpages etc.

The other issue from your last post, if it is one, I do not understand.
  • Bibliography entry for a webpage seems fine now in that it includes the URL -- thanks! I guess I was uncertain as to what was going on with that since that issue seemed to be fixed before I had a chance to specifically look at your fix. (When I happened to refresh my Word doc's sample bibliography just before I was going to look at your fix, suddenly each webpage entry included its URL.)

The last edition issue I don't know about - I think that was from @rmseifried

I'm about to poke around more about why I must paste the bibliography into my Word "report" using the paste-as-Picture option in order for the formatting to be correct -- in order for the tab to render after the year. That particular Word file has been well used, with tracked changes, but I don't know why that'd make any difference, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the first to be using a file of that nature with Zotero....

Thanks, again, @damnation, for your work on the SAA style!
  • I don't know much about coding, so maybe this isn't possible, but...

In the bibliography for this style, there are "soft" returns between the author and the rest of the citation. Would it be possible to turn these into "hard" returns so I can play around with the formatting more on my end?