Plug-in "who cites who"

Hi,

I'm quite new on Zotero and I wanted to know if there is a plug-in or something to know who cites one article among those in my collection.

For example if I have the articles A, B and E. B is cited by A and E (and C, D ... but there are not in my collection). I want to have the list "A, E" when I ask who cites B.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear.

Thank you
Cécile
  • No, Zotero isn't trying to extract references from bibliographies in your collection (which is quite hard to do, technically) and there's no plugin that could do something of the sort.
  • I do not think it has to be based on the extraction of references from a bibliography. I've thought about something very similar https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/64506/idea-automatically-find-of-related-document
  • Hi,

Thanks for your comments.
    As LiborA said, I think it's possible to do without extracting references from bibliographies. Maybe using Google Scholar and "cited by" ?

I though about this plugin when I read a paper without knowing which article lead me to this one.

Thanks again
    Cécile
  • The recently announced initiative for open citations (https://i4oc.org/) provides a possible path for various functionality along these lines.
  • I4oc.org looks good. But I think the function described by Cécile can be based on similar algoritm as duplicity searching.
  • (I really don't follow your other thread. I see no way in which info like ISBNs or DOIs help identify related, let alone cited, material. )
  • @LiborA I think you are referring to a different problem, and that is recognizing duplicates. However, yes, if zotero could somehow read the bibliography in a PDF, find the DOIs or ISBNs, and then check if they are in the user's Zotero database, then it is possible to do what the OP is asking. But that kind of functionality is not there and appears to be non-trivial (but has a clear path to accomplishment?).
  • In reality, I am looking for the same function as Cécile. Duplicate items are not so big problem, I can find it very easy in Zotero. Searching of related documents is more complicated. @gurdas is right, extracting DOI and ISBN from document is not trivial.
  • well, extracting DOIs and ISBNs actually is reasonably trivial, but given most citation styles used in print, they only give you a fraction of citations, so this would be highly unsatisfactory imo and I don't think I'd want to spend my time explaining to people why functionality advertised in Zotero isn't working properly.
    But if you only want a plugin that scans a PDF for ISBNs and DOIs and then adds all of those items to Zotero, that would be reasonably easy to do. Essentially all the code already exists in Zotero in recognizePDF.js (i.e. the retrieve metadata functionality).
  • Yes, I agree, the functionality has to work properly. I see two potential approaches. First one is based on the extraction of ISBN and DOI and searching these values in the Zotero database. I am not sure if this approach can be successful in most cases, due to missing these data in some styles. Is it possible to extract titles from bibliography?
    I am thinking about contrary direction, try to find all titles, DOIs and ISBNs from Zotero database in the attached documents. I think this approach should be more precise. But I think, this approach is extremely demanding on computing power and the number of transactions grows exponentially with the number of records in the database.