Style Error: [Quaternary International]

2»
  • edited August 26, 2017
    When you are finished writing, click the “Unlink Citations” button. This will transform your bibliography into flat text and you can manually enter the language information.
  • I found a trick about how to deal with the problem:
    instead of inputting the language under Language category I did it under Pages, just after the actual page numbers and in parenthesis, and the label (in LanguageX) appears just where it should in the reference list.

Any concerns about such use?
  • edited August 26, 2017
    If you switch to a style that formats the numbers differently (e.g., as "123-36" instead of "123-136"), what you are doing will probably prevent that from working. It will also prevent the processor from correctly formatting the page range dash as an en-dash "–", instead of a hyphen "-".

A cleaner option would be to store the Language label in another field, then add that field to the style. One option that would be fairly consistent with how this is done in other styles (e.g., APA), would be to use the "medium" CSL variable and to store the data in Extra like this:
    medium: in French
  • Thanks.
    How do you add a field to a style?
  • edited August 29, 2017
    You have to edit CSL style in some plain text editor or in the online tool on http://editor.citationstyles.org/visualEditor/.
  • Thank you for all the answers so far.
    Just something puzzles me now, the field Language already exists in Zotero ...

If you know off the top of your had any tutorial about how to do such things that that would be very helpful and highly appreciated.
  • Just something puzzles me now, the field Language already exists in Zotero ...
    Yes, Zotero has language field, but the language variable is not implemented in the CSL. See specification on http://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#appendix-iv-variables
  • The "Language" field is currently used by CSL citation processors to control whether items can be formatted in "title case" or not (casing only applies to English items). For this to work, languages need to be stored in the two-letter ISO format (e.g., "en", "de", "zh"), rather than in human-readable forms (i.e., "English", "German"). Additional formatting controls based on language are hoped for in future revisions to CSL, but none are available currently (see a discussion here https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/issues/110).

Directly printing the language field is not available in CSL currently because it would rarely be what the user needs (i.e., they need the human readable label, not the ISO code). Conceptually, the "in Russian" type label is similar to other labels used by various styles to indicate special formatting or other features of an item (e.g., APA style recommends that labels such as [Computer software] or [Brochure] be used to indicate unusual types of items).

To add this label to the style, download the .csl style from here (https://www.zotero.org/styles/quaternary-international?source=1) and open it in a plain text editor (e.g., NotePad, TextEdit).

Then, find this line at the end of the style:
    <text macro="access" prefix=". "/>

And add this line after it:
    <text variable="medium" prefix=". (" suffix=")"/>

In Zotero, add the language label to the Extra field like this:
    medium: in Russian

or

medium: in Japanese, with English abstract

Then, change the style ID and name at the top of the style, save it, and install into Zotero.

@adamsmith Would you consider adding support for the medium variable into the official style, like we do for APA?
  • Another flaw, still QI: the output is in wrong alphabetic order if the cited work is a classified as a map. I think the system ordered tha map by title (Daito Island), and not by the author/publisher (Japan Land Survey Department). It is also strange that the type of the document (topographic map) and map scale are not among the citing info. Example:

Csoma, A.É., Goldstein, R.H., Pomar, L., 2006. Pleistocene speleothems of Mallorca: Implications for palaeoclimate and carbonate diagenesis in mixing zones. Sedimentology 53, 213–236. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3091.2005.00759.x

Currie, L.A., Polach, H.A., 1980. Exploratory Analysis of the International Radiocarbon Cross-Calibration Data: Consensus Values and Interlaboratory Error Preliminary Note. Radiocarbon 22, 933–935. doi:10.1017/S003382220001033X

Japan Land Survey Department, 1919. Daito Island.

Dalca, A.V., Ferrier, K.L., Mitrovica, J.X., Perron, J.T., Milne, G.A., Creveling, J.R., 2013. On postglacial sea level—III. Incorporating sediment redistribution. Geophysical Journal International 194, 45–60. doi:10.1093/gji/ggt089