Style Error: [Quaternary International]

Within the text, Zotero arranges the cited authors in alphabetical order, while in the journal guidelines it says that they should be in chronological order. Quoted from the Journal online guidelines:
"4. References in the text should be arranged chronologically. The list of references should be arranged alphabetically by authors' names, and ..."
https://www.elsevier.com/journals/quaternary-international/1040-6182/guide-for-authors
Can we expect any debug from Zotero anytime soon?
  • Yes, this is on my list of things to fix.
  • Thank you for your quick reply.
    I think I noticed one other thing, but I can't remember.

Would you be so inclined and inform me when the bug is fixed? Or is it OK if I double check sometimes?
  • both, yes. I think journal names shouldn't be abbreviated in QI if I remember correctly?
  • Yes, journal names should not be abbreviated. But that doesn't seem to be a problem; I just double-checked and in the output bibliography the journal names seem to be given in full.
    But the citation of volume papers is incorrect. The citation of the volume of the paper should be given after a full-stop and capitalized:

"... Paper title. In: Volume Authors ....(Eds.),"

instead of the current output:

" ... Paper title, in: Volume Authors (Eds.),"

I suspect there are more errors. The whole output style might need to be carefully revised.

Please, keep me updated about the error removal. I need to apologize to the editor in the mean time.

• As a dependent of elsevier-harvard.csl does it mean all of the dependent styles are wrong or this needs to become its own style?
  • I have no idea what you are asking about. I am unfamiliar with the topic.
    I'm just a user of Zotero who submitted a paper to Quaternary International and realized that the bibliography output was not in accordance with the jouranal style (after submitting the paper).
    Anything I can help you with?
  • Sorry, that was more geared towards AdamSmith.

But for your information "quaternary-international.csl" is actually not its own standalone style, but just a repacking of the elsevier-harvard.csl style.
    You can see that if you search for the style here: http://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByName/
    It says "Same as...."
    So if we want to make changes it will affect many many other styles that use the elsevier-harvard as a base.
    The alternative being that we could make quaternary-international into its own style independent of Elsevier.
  • @damnation no, this differs from the parent style, which is why this has lingered for a bit. It needs its own independent style.
  • @ adamsmith Just noticed another output error; the order of the cited references in the reference list is wrong. For example, I have one single author of two different papers and in the output list they are not in chronological order. And there are more ...
  • @blaz.miklavic
    The new style should appear on the repository soon. https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=quaternary (check the timestamp)
  • @damnation
    Yea, it's there with the date of yesterday. So now the bugs are fixed?
  • Try it. I'm not perfect.
  • I just checked and there are still some errors. The author order in the reference list should be in chronological order (if the same author), but in the new output that's not the case.

Output Example:
    Dickinson, W.R., 2004. Impacts of eustasy and hydro-isostasy on the evolution and landforms of Pacific atolls. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 213, 251–269.
    Dickinson, W.R., 2001. Paleoshoreline record of relative Holocene sea levels on Pacific islands. Earth-Science Reviews 55, 191–234. doi:10.1016/S0012-8252(01)00063-0

Apparently a similar problem happens in the citation:

Output example:
    (Dorale et al., 2010; Tuccimei et al., 2012, 2006; Onac et al., 2012)

Not sure if Tuccimei should be before Dorale since one of her cited publications is older and one is younger than Dorale's. But for sure Tuccimei's 2006 should be cited before the 2012 one.
  • @damnation
    Thank you. On the link there is a bunch of codes, not sure how to apply them. On the styles' list the QI the same timestamp (30 March). Please, clue me in ~
  • edited April 4, 2017
    the link I posted, right click on it and press save as, but Adamsmith just committed it to the repo, so it should appear on the style repo soon. Date is 04.04.2017 for this one.
  • @damnation
    Thank you. The bugs mentioned last time seem to be fixed, but not entirely.

1) When there are multiple papers of the same author with manyo co-authors, the papers should be listed chronologically as well, which is not the case now (they seem to be arranged alphabetically by the 2nd author). If I understood the instructions correctly https://www.elsevier.com/journals/quaternary-international/1040-6182/guide-for-authors (Under References, paragraph 4).

Output example:
    Yokoyama, Y., Koizumi, M., Matsuzaki, H., Miyairi, Y., Ohkouchi, N., 2010. Developing ultra small-scale radiocarbon sample measurement at the University of Tokyo. Radiocarbon 52, 310–318.

Yokoyama, Y., Maeda, Y., Okuno, J., Miyairi, Y., Kosuge, T., 2016. Holocene Antarctic melting and lithospheric uplift history of the southern Okinawa trough inferred from mid- to late-Holocene sea level in Iriomote Island, Ryukyu, Japan. Quaternary International 397, 342–348. doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2015.03.030

Yokoyama, Y., Miyairi, Y., Matsuzaki, H., Tsunomori, F., 2007. Relation between acid dissolution time in the vacuum test tube and time required for graphitization for AMS target preparation. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 259, 330–334. doi:10.1016/j.nimb.2007.01.176

2) If there are two papers of the same author with the same publication year, (a) and (b) letters should be added when the papers are cited *in the text*, as well as in the *reference list*.

Output example:

(Yokoyama et al., 2001; 2001; Clark et al., 2009; Lambeck et al., 2014),

--> I think it should look sth like (Yokoyama et al., 2001 (a,b); ...)

Hope this feedback helps.
  • edited April 6, 2017
    @Rintze
    I need some help from the cavalry. Can you advise?
  • 1. Check out how AGU does this: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/american-geophysical-union.csl#L166 . You want exactly the same here (it's a reasonably common set of rules, for whatever reason)
    2. Just add the disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" on citation.
  • (you will also need collapse="year-suffix", if you don't use it already [http://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#cite-collapsing], and you might have to explicitly call the "year-suffix" variable if you want to place it within parentheses)
  • The details of how to display the year suffixes isn't in the styleguide. I'd leave this as is unless we've examples from the journal
  • Here are examples found in the last issue of QI:

In the text (Mercuri):
    ...( Zohary and Spiegel-Roy, 1975; Liphschitz et al., 1991; Zohary and Hopf, 2000; Terral et al., 2004; Margaritis, 2013 ; Mercuri et al., 2013a).

In the reference list (Mercuri):
    Mercuri, A.M., Bandini Mazzanti, M., Florenzano, A., Montecchi, M.C., Rattighieri, E.,
    2013a. Olea, Juglans and ...

Mercuri, A.M., Bandini Mazzanti, M., Florenzano, A., Montecchi, M.C., Rattighieri, E.,
    Torri, P., 2013b. Anthropogenic ...
  • Did you see we made some fixes yesterday? check the newest style out on the repo. Yesterday's date.
  • @damnation
    Just did, thank you for the note. Now the letters are added, but:

1)
    In the text, the citations are not in chronological order, they are in the order of the input.

Output example:
    (Lambeck et al., 2014; Yokoyama et al., 2001b; Clark et al., 2009; Yokoyama et al., 2001a).

2)
    In the reference list the references are still in alphabetical order of the 2nd author, but they should follow a chronological order. Please, let me know if I'm misunderstanding the guidelines (https://www.elsevier.com/journals/quaternary-international/1040-6182/guide-for-authors; under References, paragraph 4).
  • 1) Is correct in the style. Could you try adding those same items to a new citation for testing?

2) The styleguide is more complicated than just chronological, but we don't sort alphabetically by the second author. Could you post a relevant section with multiple citations with the same first author here so we can see what you're getting exactly?
  • 1)
    I tried to use the "Edit ciatation" window, delete all, and put them again all in, updated field and Zotero Refresh, but nothing work. Adding the citation completely from the beginning did change the output:

(Yokoyama et al., 2001b; 2001a; Clark et al., 2009; Lambeck et al., 2014)

2)
    Sorry, it is not alphabetical, my bad, must have sticked in my mind from last time, or a mishap. But it's *not* chronological either.

Here it is the output example:

Yokoyama, Y., Esat, T.M., Lambeck, K., 2001a. Coupled climate and sea-level changes deduced from Huon Peninsula coral terraces of the last ice age. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 193, 579–587. doi:10.1016/S0012-821X(01)00515-5

Yokoyama, Y., De Deckker, P., Lambeck, K., Johnston, P., Fifield, L.K., 2001b. Sea-level at the Last Glacial Maximum: evience from northwestern Australia to constrain ice volumes for oxygen isotope stage 2. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 165, 281–297.

Yokoyama, Y., Miyairi, Y., Matsuzaki, H., Tsunomori, F., 2007. Relation between acid dissolution time in the vacuum test tube and time required for graphitization for AMS target preparation. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 259, 330–334. doi:10.1016/j.nimb.2007.01.176

Yokoyama, Y., Koizumi, M., Matsuzaki, H., Miyairi, Y., Ohkouchi, N., 2010. Developing ultra small-scale radiocarbon sample measurement at the University of Tokyo. Radiocarbon 52, 310–318.

Yokoyama, Y., Suzuki, A., Siringan, F., Maeda, Y., Abe-Ouchi, A., Ohgaito, R., Kawahata, H., Matsuzaki, H., 2011. Mid-Holocene palaeoceanography of the northern South China Sea using coupled fossil-modern coral and atmosphere-ocean GCM model. Geophysical Research Letters 38, 3–7. doi:10.1029/2010GL044231

Yokoyama, Y., Maeda, Y., Okuno, J., Miyairi, Y., Kosuge, T., 2016. Holocene Antarctic melting and lithospheric uplift history of the southern Okinawa trough inferred from mid- to late-Holocene sea level in Iriomote Island, Ryukyu, Japan. Quaternary International 397, 342–348. doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2015.03.030
  • It's in chronological order actually lol. The ultimate sign I need to take a rest ...
  • Ok, another issue came out - the language.
    According to QI guidelines (bullet 5. under References, although it should be 6 - they have an error) it should be stated if the cited work (paper or website) is not in English. In the database under category "Language" I input "Japanese", but in the output it won't show at the end of the reference as "(in Japanese)".
  • sorry, we can't do that
  • Strange since you have "Language" as an entry option in the "Info" tab.

Anyways, how do you suggest to deal with it? If I input it manually it disappears after the bibliography is updated ...