Processing updated data files from sync server

I recently imported around 200 citations into my zotero library. The file was large--5.5 MB. Things seemed ok at first--the files seem to have loaded ok but now I'm getting this error:

Processing updated data from sync server

Firefox/zotero locks up and my only option is to ctrl-alt-del to get out of Firefox. I have disabled all add ons and extensions in my firefox except zotero.

I also have the standalone version of zotero---i never run it at the same time as firefox.
I was able to go in to standalone and I ran the database integrity check. It came back fine but ultimately standalone locks up with the same "processing updated...." error.

What are my options to fix?
What might have caused this problem?

this is related to two other discussions I began--one on loading .txt files
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/63855/import-txt-files-to-zotero#latest

and one on the most efficient way for multiple editors to work on a single paper in zotero:
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/64027/most-efficient-way-for-multiple-editors-to-work-on-single-paper-in-zotero#latest
  • just let Zotero run while it says processing. A lock isn't a crash and it will amost certainly just recover.
  • Hi Adam!
    I've left it running since I created the discussion! its been running for two days....I can still leave it but is there something I can do if it continues to run?
  • @Dan%20Stillman -- could you check on this. Surely 2 _days_ is too long.
  • edited January 26, 2017
    its been running for two days.
    Well, but what does this mean? Are you saying it's been frozen for two days? If not, what's the current state?

It looks like your copy of Zotero has made repeated attempts to download the same data, suggesting the download processing hasn't been finishing, but it's not a ton of data and should really finish within 10-15 minutes at the most. (The downloads are cached and are returning immediately, so this isn't a case of server-side queuing.)
  • Hi!
    yes i think its frozen. This window/error is displaying:
    Processing updated data from sync server

the green progress line looks complete in the box but the wheel is still spinning as if processing is still happening....

The browser window is greyed out--the only icon that is active is the red x to close the browser!

this is the state its been in for the two days---I've left it this way to see if it would just resolve on its own!

just fyi--this data is not crucial...meaning I have the data available and can load again if necessary....I just need to free up whatever is "locked" if that's the right way to put it!

Thank you for looking into this!
  • Yeah, no way it's still processing after two days. I'd restart your computer, temporarily close all other programs, and try again.
  • That worked! had to restart laptop and also restart firefox a couple times but everything seems fine now. Also, the data files look like they loaded completely.

Thank you guys very much for helping with this!
  • Have an update:
    I was able to get in to my zotero once or twice but then got the "processing updated data...." error again.

I went in this morning and tried to save a website to zotero and got this error within zotero:
    An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox. You can report this error....

So I did report the error through Zotero. Here is the report number:
  • I was able to get in to my zotero once or twice but then got the "processing updated data...." error again.
    That's not an error, though — that just means it's processing.
    Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing.

Click the sync icon to resolve them.
    It wouldn't explain the crash, but this — and the repeated download attempts in your sync history online — suggest that you just need to kick off a manual sync.

Beyond that, if you're still having trouble, I'd suggesting trying the 5.0 Beta, which should better handle large sync operations.