Most efficient way for multiple editors to work on single paper in Zotero

Hi!
I apologize for the discussion title--I couldn't think of a good way to describe the advice I'm seeking. The scenario that I'm about to describe though is very common at my institution and library. An author writes a paper in Word and uses Zotero on their pc for their citations and bibliographies. Often, an administrative assistant will then be given the paper for cleaning up for publication. This will often involve adding, deleting, updating, and editing citations and the bibliography. What is the best or most efficient way for having the administrative assistant to be able to work with the paper on their own computer with Zotero? In a case I'm dealing with now--we have someone who needs to perform this work on a paper from a faculty member who is not physically here on campus. Is it as simple as creating a group and syncing the library to the assistants computer? how can someone best work with a bibliography in a paper that someone else has written in a separate zotero instance? (maybe that's the best way to put it! thank you!)
  • It depends. The easiest way would be if the citations were made from a group _from the start_. Then the assistant could just join the group, have access to the citations, etc.

However, it will _not_ work to transfer the references to a group after they have been inserted into Word (for Zotero, the group and original item would be different). So for cases where citations were inserted from a personal library, there is no easy solution. There's no easy solution for those cases and what works best really depends on the details of the workflow:
    If this never goes back to the researcher and is just for publication, just removing Zotero field codes and cleaning manually might be fastest.
    Otherwise, removing and replacing faulty citations -- with the replacements being from a group to which both faculty and assistant have access -- would work best, albeit be tedious.
  • For this situation, the solution I've set up with several faculty I've gotten started on Zotero is to set up a Group Library shared by them and their assistant and instruct them to always use the Group Library and never "My Library" (I even create a collection named "Do Not Use" under their My Library folder to remind them).

(As @adamsmith notes, this obviously don't help in the current situation where citations were already inserted from a personal library.)
  • Thank you very much for the explanations and suggestions. I really appreciate the input of experts in the forum. Always very helpful!
  • Couple more questions:
    1. This assistant does not have access to the "Authors Instructions" that were used for the paper and we are trying to determine why the citations are sorted (numbered) the way that they are. There are over 200! They are not in alphabetical order in any way. They might be in order by their first appearance as cited in the paper but the articles are cited multiple times throughout the article.
    2. Also, since we don't have the author instructions, we do not know the citation style. Is there a quick way to determine this? I know you can look at the Zotero repository and preview styles--is this the best/fastest way?

Thank you!
  • 1. Most numbered citation styles are not alphabetical but in order of first appearance, so that'd be typical.

2. It's not trivial, but you can open the .docx file (assuming that's what you have) with an archive manager like 7zip, and then find that information in docProps/custom.xml
    The LibreOffice solution is similar, I'm not sure there is something viable for .doc
  • IF you have the original Word document, you could open it on a computer with Zotero and Word plug-in installed, and then look up the 'Document Preferences' in the Zotero tab in Word's ribbon interface. The citation style selected/highlighted is the one used in that document.
  • that only works if that style is installed, though
  • edited January 23, 2017
    It's not trivial, but you can open the .docx file (assuming that's what you have) with an archive manager like 7zip, and then find that information in docProps/custom.xml
    If we replace https://github.com/mwilliamson/mammoth.js with some generic code to unzip the .docx files and parse the XML (which would be a good change by itself), it should be trivial to show this information with https://github.com/rmzelle/ref-extractor. Not my top priority, but PRs more than welcome (issue at https://github.com/rmzelle/ref-extractor/issues/13).
  • edited January 24, 2017
    Can we fix this problem for ever by using universal citation key? https://github.com/cparnot/universal-citekey-js