Error message

Report ID: 387895806

Hello, my Zotero hasn't synced for a while, and I have a red exclamation point next to the sync. I am working on a big project and would be sad to lose anything--advice for next steps? Thanks very much!

Best,
Madeline
  • What's the message when you click on the exclamation point?
  • Hi Dan,

"A file sync error occurred. Please try syncing again.

If you receive this message repeatedly, restart Firefox and/or your computer and try again. If you continue to receive the message, submit an error report and post the Report ID to a new thread in the Zotero Forums."

I did restart both Firefox and my computer. Any tips? Thanks for your response!

Best,
    Madeline
  • Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that produces the error?
  • "The Debug ID is D2114089871"

• I have the same problem ;/
  • I'd guess that this was just a temporary glitch. Are you still having trouble? (Note, too, that this was just a file sync error, so the rest of your data would still have synced.)
  • Hi Dan,

I am still getting an error message. I use a MacBook Pro, and I don't think I use special security software...any way I can check this? Any further advice? My new Report ID is: 1039734610
  • Can you provide another Debug ID? See the linked page, though — this is only a problem if it's not making progress each time.
  • After a week, still not syncing. Here is the new information:

Report ID: 1793700492
    Debug ID: D1664505067

thanks!
  • NS_ERROR_FILE_NO_DEVICE_SPACE
    Check your free disk space.
  • Thanks! I'm not sure how to do this on my Macbook Pro--will check soon.

Best,
    Madeline
  • From anywhere in Mac OS X, choose the  Apple menu item and select “About This Mac”

At the general About This Mac window, click on the “More Info” button

Select the “Storage” tab to see the disk storage overview and capacity summary
  • I always thought that one of the advantages of using Zotero and paying for subscription was that it lived in the cloud and thus didn't take up space on my Mac. However, every time I've opened my Zotero plugin in Firefox in the last few months, it crashes my Firefox. If this isn't solvable, I'll probably cancel my subscription and switch to using something else to store PDF's. I always loved that Zotero both stored my PDF's and helps me manage citations, too. Thanks!
  • Zotero doesn't live in the cloud — it runs on your computer, and optionally syncs data and files to the cloud.

But that also doesn't have anything to do with freezing (which I suspect is what you mean, not "crashing") Firefox. It looks like your Zotero is repeatedly performing a full download of your data, which can temporarily freeze Firefox while it processes. If you let it go it will finish. If you force-quit Firefox, it will just keep happening.

In any case, I'd recommend going to the download page and installing Zotero Standalone and switching to the new Zotero Connector for Firefox, which won't affect Firefox while processing your data. (Syncing of larger libraries is also greatly improved in the upcoming Zotero 5.0.)
  • Thanks very much!