Papership and Zotero.org online library are not syncing

2»
  • Just tried it. Still not working - I can't get it to recognize box.com. I've tried both the box.com option and WebDAV option, but it doesn't seem to want to recognize any address, username, or password I put in.
  • I am having a similar if not the same issue. Only some of the PDF attachments from my Zotero library are syncing to Papership, though my libary is synched and updated...
  • Can you see the attachments on zotero.org? If so, then this would be a PaperShip issue and you would need to contact them (but do know that the next app receives very little support anymore).
  • yes and that's a shame. I am trying to optimize the ipad mini I bought for fieldwork to be able to read and annotate papers on the subway without needing a connection. Not having wireless is proving to be a hindrance in this setup. So far I've been moving the ones I want to read offline to onedrive or google drive before leaving wireless but it gets disorganized easily...
  • Are you using Zotfile to send PDFs back and forth from Zotero to a folder in your cloud drive? That would make the organization easier.
  • I'm frustrated to find out that, with ZotPad error message "v1_retired" returned from Dropbox, ZotPad's API in use is out of date. Now I'm in a situation that, there is no iPad App that can both read the notes and downloads the PDFs at the same time.
    What a pity! What if the ZotPad or Papership can revive~
  • The Zotfile code is open source, so it would be possible for someone to revive it, but it is now several years out of date, so it would require major updates to work with current iOS versions: https://github.com/mronkko/zotpad
  • I can happily tell you that I'm using Papership with Zotero syncing through "box.com" just fine. Works on iPhone as well as iPad. I've had issues, no doubt, but I've resolved all of them so far.

The two major ones are:

1. Syncing. I had to manually put an empty and editable txt file called "lastsync.txt" in the zotero folder in my box (i.e., in your root box there needs to be a folder called zotero, corresponding to your sync settings in Zotero standalone). In that folder, there also happens to be an empty folder called "papership", but I'm not sure whether it actually has to be there or not. The lastsync.txt is updated on every sync, containing only a string of some 30 characters, which changes with every sync.

2. Getting PDF's found when researching on the iPad to upload Zotero (i.e., box.com). Even though the entry will always show up in Zotero, the PDF will not, necessarily. Here's the solution: http://shazino.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/3000166911 Essentially, don't use Papership's built-in browser to find PDF's, but use iOS Safari and share the PDF to Papership. This way, uploading and further syncing after annotating is fine.

Good luck!
  • Thanks, guys for your comments! It was really valuable.
  • @Zbotnik thanks so much for solving the syncing problem!
  • edited April 4, 2018
    @Zbotnik I find the box.com is an alternative. I'll try and use it.
  • @Zbotnik This was genius, thank you so much! Fixed the sync issue perfectly!
  • @Zbotnik Is the solution with "lastsync.txt" still working for you? I remember it used to work for me when I found your comment some months ago. But now I'm confronted with the same problem again: Papership will not sync annotated PDFs back to box.com
    Quite frustrating. Uploading a new, empty "lastsync.txt" didn't solve the problem this time. Is this happening to other Papership users as well? Has anyone found a reliable solution?
  • I've moved over to pCloud because Box webdav is going away at the end of this year (https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Product-News/Deprecation-WebDAV-Support/ba-p/55684). I haven't tested Papership with pCloud yet, but I'm hoping that it works, with or without these "hacks."

Not sure if its allowed (if not, feel free to remove it), but here's my pCloud referral link (gives me an extra 1gb for every user that signs up): https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register&invite=l1eAZPrqIm7

I've found the service very good. 10gb base, plus its easy to grab another 4gb through their "tutorial" and the option to refer and win up to 500gb more. Hopefully this service lasts a long time.
  • I've just installed the Papership.app on iPad and synced with Zotero online library with more than 9000 entries and 4 group libraries. It took near 1 hr to sync all data, but it performed well currently.
    I did not purchase PDF Annotations Pack, but basic changes such as adding tags works and synced back to Zotero online library as expected.
  • I can confirm that Papership is working with pCloud, although it's not ideal. It does seem to have some problems syncing (freezing, going through the motion of syncing but not actually downloading things), so it's a bit off and on. I also can't seem to find all my notes for items. In fact, clicking on one reference that has ~10 notes (chapters in a book) brings up notes for Chapter 7 seemingly at random.
  • When I added "lastsync.txt", the syn between Zotero-wins, Zotero-mac and Papership is OK.

But I cannot load PDF documents in Papership. And I also cannot import PDF from safari in iOS, the err is ``cannot create document'' (413).

Could please someone tell me how to do annotation in ipad that can easily syn to Zotero?
  • I recommend using Zotfile to send PDFs between your Zotero library and a cloud-drive folder, such as Dropbox or iCloud. You can then access the PDFs in that cloud folder using iPad apps such as iBooks, Adobe, GoodReader, or Goodnotes.