Zotero RTF scan does not support Chinese

edited September 19, 2016
Hello, everyone!
When I use RTF scan, I find it not working well with Chinese.

The orginal RTF content:
这是一个测试{Huang et al., 2014} (insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试{Lu et al., 2011; Lu et al., 2016} (insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010} (insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010} followed by Englis(insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}后接中文(insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}

这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}(insert by hand typing)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}(手打)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}
This is a test{Liu et al., 2010} (insert by hand typing)

这是一个测试{黄 et al., 2011} (insert by hand typing)
这是一个测试{黄 et al., 2011} (inset with Zotero)
This is a test{黄 et al., 2011} (insert with Zotero)
Result by RTF scan:
这是一个测试[1] (insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试[2,3] (insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试[4] (insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试[4] followed by Englis(insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试[4]后接中文(insert with Zotero)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}

这是一个测试[4](insert by hand typing)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}(手打)
这是一个测试{Liu et al., 2010}
This is a test[4] (insert by hand typing)

这是一个测试{黄 et al., 2011} (insert by hand typing)
这是一个测试{黄 et al., 2011} (inset with Zotero)
This is a test{黄 et al., 2011} (insert with Zotero)

[1] Huang J Y, Li L T, Wang H, et al. In Vivo Two-photon Fluorescence Microscopy Reveals Disturbed Cerebral Capillary Blood Flow and Increased Susceptibility to Ischemic Insults in Diabetic Mice[J]. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, 2014, 20(9): 816–822.
[2] Lu Y M, Huang J, Shioda N, et al. CaMKIIδB Mediates Aberrant NCX1 Expression and the Imbalance of NCX1/SERCA in Transverse Aortic Constriction-Induced Failing Heart[J]. MEANS R E. PLoS ONE, 2011, 6(9): e24724.
[3] Lu Y M, Gao Y P, Tao R R, et al. Calpain-Dependent ErbB4 Cleavage Is Involved in Brain Ischemia-Induced Neuronal Death[J]. Molecular neurobiology, 2016, 53(4): 2600–2609.
[4] Liu Q B, Liu L L, Lu Y M, et al. The induction of reactive oxygen species and loss of mitochondrial Omi/HtrA2 is associated with S-nitrosoglutathione-induced apoptosis in human endothelial cells[J]. Toxicology and applied pharmacology, 2010, 244(3): 374–384.
We can see that:
1. I customized a citation style to match the format required by RTF scan, and almost all citations inserted by Zotero with this style could be recognized, but not stable, that is , sometimes, one or two failed.

2. If I hand type the citations, failed to recognize when inserted within Chinese, but seems to work well inserted after English;

3. does not work when citation item is Chinese
  • edited August 18, 2023
    I have a question related to above but I have not done the extensive testing this user has. I recently tried the rtf scan process described here:

https://www.zotero.org/support/rtf_scan

Because a lot of my citations are to Chinese sources, I have been citing the Chinese names in brackets like this: {路人甲, 2016}. These don't get picked up by the scanner. Now is it because the I did not put their names using "LAST NAME, FIRST NAME" format in the Zotero field? I always use the single combined name field because an actual Chinese name would be split up awkwardly if I used the "LAST NAME, FIRST NAME" format. Or does rtf scan just not recognize Chinese?

If that is the case, do you suggest I convert all the Chinese Zotero entries into English, or add English somewhere in there so they can be picked up by the scanner? What is the most sensible way to do this?

Edit to add: The Chinese ones also don't show in the Verify Cited Items box after scanning. It's like they are invisible.
  • Still no solution. Does anyone know how to solve this problem please? Thanks