Finding duplicates within collection

Hi!

I'm doing a systematic lit review and have pulled out the articles I want to screen from 8 relevant databases. I would now like to find duplicates between my 8 subcollections, put I can only find an option to flag the duplicates within my whole library.

Is there a way to specify that you only want a specific collection to be scan for duplicates? If not, is there a way that I can open a new library (and so not get those articles mixed up with my other "personal" library)?

Thks for your help!
  • No on the first question (@Dan, could Duplicate Items and Unfiled Items get added to the Advanced Search menu, maybe as options under Saved Search?)

For the second question, yes. Make a new private Group (on Zotero.org if you don't see Group Libraries in your Zotero client). The group will have its own library that is completely separate from your personal library. You don't have to invite anyone else to share the library with you. This is the practice I always recommend for doing systematic reviews because it also lets you have a different set of tags from your personal library that you can use to organize the review and track the status of different articles.
  • (@Dan, could Duplicate Items and Unfiled Items get added to the Advanced Search menu, maybe as options under Saved Search?)
    yes, please. Would add a lot of flexibility.
  • Thank you, bwiernik!
    That was helpful!
  • Have to look into the feasibility of this, code-wise and performance-wise, but I've created a ticket for it.

It might be better to fudge the terminology a bit and put everything under the "Collection" condition, including saved searches, since people probably think of these things all together, since they're together in the left pane.
  • Agreed on calling them all Collections.
  • This hasn't moved in 6 years. I added a [note](https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/1087#issuecomment-1293457225) to the ticket, hoping to prod it towards the top of the stack...
  • I'm not sure if the Duplicate Items collection can be easily added as a search condition in Zotero's advanced search. In Duplicate Items, potential duplicates are grouped together. You wouldn't expect that in an advanced search.

Rather than adding Duplicate Items as an option in advanced search, making the Duplicate Items collection itself configurable seems like the better approach to me. You could then right-click Duplicate Items and add a condition to check for duplicates in a given collection. See also this discussion.
  • Hi! It has been a while since this "issue" was discussed. I strongly agree that the feature "find duplicate reference within collection or sub-collection" is really useful to manage different projects without needing to create a group library.

I hope the developer will take a look and implement this feature on the nearest update.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best regards!
  • Zotero 7 Beta has a collections tab in item pane(right side) which shows all the collections the item is in. You can easily remove the item from any collection via a button in this tab.